I just picked up a Calumet 4X5 camera! But need a bit of help.

In the past I have actually used a very small screwdriver to slide into one of the spanner wrench openings. As long as you're extremely careful to apply pressure in the correct direction, a very small screwdriver blade will fit into the spanner wrench opening,and after breaking the seal,you can use finger pressure to remove the retaining ring.

But that applies force to only one side of the ring.
I think I tried that on something else once, and I think I did not have enough leverage to make it work.
I was too scared of messing it up, without using the correct tool, to try any further.

In the past I have actually used a very small screwdriver to slide into one of the spanner wrench openings. As long as you're extremely careful to apply pressure in the correct direction, a very small screwdriver blade will fit into the spanner wrench opening,and after breaking the seal,you can use finger pressure to remove the retaining ring.

But that applies force to only one side of the ring.
I think I tried that on something else once, and I think I did not have enough leverage to make it work.
I was too scared of messing it up, without using the correct tool, to try any further.

It works if the ring isn't on too tight. I've successfully used two jeweler's screwdrivers in a pinch.

Like Sparky said, as long as the ring is not really really tight, applying force to one of the two spanner wrench Cut outs will work. Is it ideal? No it is not, but shade tree camera mechanic work in the past has seen me do this more than one time.

Agreed, it is hard to apply a lot of force with this method unless you grasp the screwdriver with a small pair of vise grip pliers, or tap the shaft of the screwdriver to loosen the ring at the start of the operation. Once the ring has been loosened, it's pretty easy to unthread.

Like Sparky said, as long as the ring is not really really tight, applying force to one of the two spanner wrench Cut outs will work. Is it ideal? No it is not, but shade tree camera mechanic work in the past has seen me do this more than one time.

Agreed, it is hard to apply a lot of force with this method unless you grasp the screwdriver with a small pair of vise grip pliers, or tap the shaft of the screwdriver to loosen the ring at the start of the operation. Once the ring has been loosened, it's pretty easy to unthread.

I saw that you can also use a pair of calipers if needed.

It is, but you still need the right tools. A quality spanner wrench for one.

I saw a video where a guy said you can use needle-nose pliers, which sounded like a really great way to slip and really mess up a lens!
I am ordering the spanner as soon as I have the money. :)
His idea will probably work quite well on really small lenses around 1" diameter. I wouldn't want to try it on anything bigger, (or anything valuable)...

His idea will probably work quite well on really small lenses around 1" diameter. I wouldn't want to try it on anything bigger, (or anything valuable)...

He was working on an old Rusian Helios 44-2 58mm, and they are a smaller lens for sure.

He was working on an old Rusian Helios 44-2 58mm, and they are a smaller lens for sure.

Not in my opinion. I have several Helios 44 lenses they are what I would consider standard size lenses, (49 & 52 mm filters were pretty much standard for the 70s & 80s for lenses upto ~135mm)
Small lenses are like the industar 10 (50mm/3.5), or my 1950s voigtlander skopar/kodak astigmat medium format lenses...

I saw a video where a guy said you can use needle-nose pliers, which sounded like a really great way to slip and really mess up a lens!

I just thought of something.
NONE of my needle nose pliers have a tip narrow enough to fit into the notch of retaining ring. Yeah it is called needle nose, but it isn't really that narrow. So you either grind the tip of the plier to fit the notch or you SHOVE the plier in and use force to hold it on the notch.

NONE of my needle nose pliers have a tip narrow enough to fit into the notch of retaining ring. Yeah it is called needle nose, but it isn't really that narrow. So you either grind the tip of the plier to fit the notch or you SHOVE the plier in and use force to hold it on the notch.

I've known people to file/grind down needle-nose pliers for that use.

I've known people to file/grind down needle-nose pliers for that use.

I also thought that you would have to grind them down, or some of the piles for electronic and finer work have a small point.

I also thought that you would have to grind them down, or some of the piles for electronic and finer work have a small point.

But when you get into that small of a point, the pliers won't spread far enough apart for LF lenses and pro-sized (72mm+) filters.

But when you get into that small of a point, the pliers won't spread far enough apart for LF lenses and pro-sized (72mm+) filters.
Good point! (Pun intended!) :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure what kind of retaining ring you want to remove but, if there is enough surface area, the rubber type tool is my preferred method.

Spanner wrenches are good but they almost always leave some marks behind no matter how carefully you use them. But, of course, sometimes they are the only option. Applying a little transparent tape over the slot area helps prevent scratches from slips.

I've also made my own custom fit spanner wrenches by cutting and grinding (with a Dremel) brass strip stock

I'm not sure what kind of retaining ring you want to remove but, if there is enough surface area, the rubber type tool is my preferred method.

Spanner wrenches are good but they almost always leave some marks behind no matter how carefully you use them. But, of course, sometimes they are the only option. Applying a little transparent tape over the slot area helps prevent scratches from slips.

I've also made my own custom fit spanner wrenches by cutting and grinding (with a Dremel) brass strip stock

Very good point on scratching, I will be very careful and will use tape or something to try and stop scratching. I like the idea of a rubber gripper in place of a spanner.
Thanks! :)

If you look at the eBay list of spanner wrenches, You will see some that are pretty much like the brass strip stock mentioned above. Basically a rectangular piece of thin brass that will slip into the spanner wrench slots, and which is used to twist open the retaining ring.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back