I just remembered...

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About a week ago I called this Lt. in the U.S. Army.

Not really sure what department, but what I found really funny, was a term he used.

Now when I say funny, I don't mean laugh with this guy, I mean laugh at this guy for even saying something so retardedly stupid. Not just saying it once, he repeated himself a BUNCH of times. Like he was trying to get ME to say it to.

When I call people, it's usually pretty brief. "Hey how you doing, have you heard about this conference? No, great, let me send you the brochure via e-mail".

"Yeah Paul, send that over vie the nippernet there."

"great, what's you address".

"oh jeez, nippernet adress...hmm...let me just see here....JANICE, WHAT'S MA NIPPERNET ADDRESS....Oh yeah, that's right. Ok Paul my nippernet address is (blah blah blah) send that down to me will ya"

"No problem, i'll talk to you next week to see if you'll be coming out"

WHO THE HELL CALLS THE INTERNET THE NIPPERNET????

WAS IT NOT INVENTED BY THE U.S. ARMY???

What an idiot.

ferny said:
No, it wasn't

And it's called the interweb.

Yes it was.

No it's not.

hahaha! :lol:

Nippernet! I'm gonna call it that now too!! I love it.

Berners-Lee proposed a project based on the concept of hypertext
"I just had to take the hypertext idea and connect it to the TCP and DNS ideas and -- ta-da! -- the World Wide Web."

http://www.davesite.com/webstation/net-history.shtml

[size=+2]1973[/size]Development began on the protocol later to be called TCP/IP, it was developed by a group headed by Vinton Cerf from Stanford and Bob Kahn from DARPA. This new protocol was to allow diverse computer networks to interconnect and communicate with each other.

%10

I have a really high I.Q. though.

Different from being a Nerd.

I also talk to people from DARPA on a regular basis.

They're the ones responsible for most of the U.S. Military's networks. I've worked on two conferences regarding Net-Centric technology and Tactical Information Assurance. Although I don't know how most of the technology works, I do know who is responsible for it.

Well, back to the word in question and people not really knowing or not having a notion of the writing of what they are talking about: "e-mail" in my own language is just this: "e-mail". The word came to my language with the technology and never was adapted. It remained "e-mail"... also in pronouciation.

Now I have a friend who is a very nice person, but not precisely an academic... 'nuff said?

Well, whenever she asks people to send her an e-mail or announces she will send them one, she always and over and again, and without any notion that she might be wrong says: "Send me an Emil".

Emil is a German first name for boys. Now no longer in use, but still. With the "E-" sounding as in "E ... lephant" and the "...mil" as in "Mil --- ler". See? This is so funny, too, I think. I am sure she would also WRITE it like this man's name. She just does not know any better.

what if the army man was jokin by calling it different? or just being a smart ass.. is that logical?

It's the fact that he refered to it as the "nipper" net.

Sounded like he was trying to tie the internet and a racist term for Asian's together.

Which makes him so much more stupid cause the American Military (of whom he works for) invented the internet.

i thought al gore invented the internet.. ..!!!!! thats what he said..and i beleive every politician....dont you????

aha...aha...aheemm.........nevemind... i'll go back to work...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back