I just remembered...

I didn't find it funny cause.....it's not funny?

Or it's going over my head because i'm not American. And I know nothing of American politics.

bace said:
And I know nothing of American politics.

Never stopped you from ripping on us before, though, did it? ** she says with a smile**

If I see one more political innuendo here, this thread will vanish. Cut it OUT, people!

As far as the intent of the thread, I think LaFoto has the right idea. A lot of folks come up with their own ways of saying things, or deliberately mispronouncing things. Various reasons drive them - a legitimate language barrier, as she described above, or perhaps a passive-aggressive way of mocking that with which they may not approve of, or feel comfortable with - the list goes on.

Sheesh, Bace posts something that mildly amuses him and the next thing we know he has to defend himself against his understanding of American politics. I'm getting sick of it.

Stop bashing one another around here! WORD.

It's not funny. Actually he was saying NIPR-net, as in Nonsecure Internet Protocol Routing, as opposed to SIPR-net which is secure net. He wasn't mispronouncing the word, you were just not understanding the word. But that's cool. We have a lot of acromyns civilians don't get or understand. If you got anymore, ask and I'll try to help you with it/them.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what happened in this thread.

Sorry for not knowing the Al gore said he invented the internet. Although that doesn't really surprise me.

kelox said:
It's not funny. Actually he was saying NIPR-net, as in Nonsecure Internet Protocol Routing, as opposed to SIPR-net which is secure net. He wasn't mispronouncing the word, you were just not understanding the word. But that's cool. We have a lot of acromyns civilians don't get or understand. If you got anymore, ask and I'll try to help you with it/them.

Well see...look at that!!

Something I didn't know.

Did sound funny though, come on. Nippernet?

Makes sense now though.

Acronyms in the US Military are bloody crazy. I think it's cause they get so damn technical about everything. Like instead of Lazer, It's a "Directed Energy Weapon". Which is then reduced to DEW. DEW sounds far less lethal than Lazer.

kelox said:

Thanks for the info kelox!

Bace, I guess it's not funny cause we say it all day too. Whenever someone asks you to email them something, you ask NIPR or SIPR? What you send determines how you send it. If we didn't say it all the time, I guess it would be funny to me as well.

Photo gal, no problem.

Oh dear... i had no idea that nippernet could be taken as a racist comment. Gawsh that's the second time today that someone's thought I was being racist when I didn't mean it. :-(
See in Australia, Nipper means a little kid who's practising to be a life saver. Or it can just mean a little kid.

See nippernet is funny if it has that meaning! But I didn't know the others.... oh dear - i feel embarrased. :blushing:

There's a funny acronym in aviation. Actually there's probably heaps of them because there are so many bloody acronyms.

But the system that some Controllers use in parts of the world to control airplanes is called TAAATS...... or pronouced Tarts. hehehehe.

kelox said:
Bace, I guess it's not funny cause we say it all day too. Whenever someone asks you to email them something, you ask NIPR or SIPR? What you send determines how you send it. If we didn't say it all the time, I guess it would be funny to me as well.

Photo gal, no problem.

I tell people at work that I'll meet them in the chow hall still....I work for an insurance company so they all look at me veeeeery strangely. And I think that Alison has heard me say SIPRnet more times than she's probably comfortable with. :lol:

Most reactions

Back