I Just Saved $500 By Doing it Myself!!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, close to $500--I think the package from really right stuff was 360, plus 180 for the L bracket. So a few days ago I posted a question asking for ideas on how to make my own L Bracket and setup that would allow me to set my camera back, so the axis of rotation would be in line with the center of my lens, and not the sensor. This process is called removing the parallax effect, and allows you to stitch panorama's together much more easily than if you simply mount your camera on the tripod and shoot. There are many more detailed explanations out there, but essentially you want to have the center of your lens over the axis of rotation, and this bracket allowed me to do it.

It is made out of cherry and maple, and the cherry has two outer rails that "clamp" it to the maple, which is attached to the tripod using a t-nut. The rails on either side were cut with a router, and glued onto the top piece of cherry. The fit is snug enough to not require any screw/bolt to hold it in place. All in all it cost about ten dollars and 3 hours to make, and as you can see in the video below, achieves exactly what I wanted.

If you have any questions just ask!!

Panorama Bracket by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Make sure to watch in HD! Focus on the candle-stick--in the first clip it is normally mounted, and in the second I am using the bracket.

Best,
Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
You know when I first saw this thread title, lord help me I thought it would be a thread about the oldest profession.. lol

I had a feeling someone would have thought that!

Jake

Any other DIY'ers here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!

Nice! Looks like a nice job too though I'd've prefferred seeing it in colour. I like doing a lot of the DIY stuff too though I've not tried it with my camera yet as chinese imports are reasonable and I dont have a lot of time or a workshop, so everything I do needs done by hand the hard way!

Must admit, that's pretty cool. I've always liked the DIY photography stuff. I made my own light tent once when I got hired to shoot some woman's handbags. I also set up a makeshift studio when I first started out with PVC pipe, some old coffee cans and some lights I got from a closing music shop. Did the job for what I was doing :)

Must admit, that's pretty cool. I've always liked the DIY photography stuff. I made my own light tent once when I got hired to shoot some woman's handbags. I also set up a makeshift studio when I first started out with PVC pipe, some old coffee cans and some lights I got from a closing music shop. Did the job for what I was doing :)

As long as it gets the job done, you're all set!

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Looks like a nice job too though I'd've prefferred seeing it in colour. I like doing a lot of the DIY stuff too though I've not tried it with my camera yet as chinese imports are reasonable and I dont have a lot of time or a workshop, so everything I do needs done by hand the hard way!

LOVE the usage of I'd've. But seriously, I figured this was a sturdier and cheaper way than any imported piece. And I was gonna put it in color, but the cherry and maple are pretty bland as I left the curly and spalted pieces on the shelf (too fancy for a camera bracket).

Best,
Jake

Most reactions

Back