I know, another moon shot, but here's one from tonight.

Idaho21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought the moon looked pretty cool tonight, so I took a pic. Can anybody tell me what is next to the moon tonight? It looks too large and bright to be a star, so I'm assuming it's a planet. Any ideas?

Anyways, the settings for the pic I took were 4", f10, ISO 100. Here it is.
DSC00296.jpg

I thought the moon looked pretty cool tonight, so I took a pic. Can anybody tell me what is next to the moon tonight? It looks too large and bright to be a star, so I'm assuming it's a planet. Any ideas?

Anyways, the settings for the pic I took were 4", f10, ISO 100. Here it is.
DSC00296.jpg

Looking at this site, it's Venus. I saw the moon tonight as well and was going to go out to get a shot, but I got my pj's on already:lol:

Oops, forgot the link: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance

That's cool. Thanks for answering my question.:mrgreen:

Venus is easily identifiable as the brightest object in the sky, other than the sky and moon. (Hahah - one of the two or three things I remember from my JuCo "Astronomy" course I took - it was ALL math! Ugh!)

I think I'll be right back (takes his camera and goes moon hunting)

I think I'll be right back (takes his camera and goes moon hunting)

That's funny!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

(just came back forgetting that it's cloudy and drizzling in NYC) lol

Cool i just got done dorking around with my settings and took some pics. Didn't like what i got so i came in to read up on Astro's moon guide. by the time i got it all set up right the moon was hazy so i missed out tonight but i will hit it up tomorrow i think i have the settings figured out.

Settings (f/3.5, ISO 1600, 1/2.5) J

moon1.jpg

Cool i just got done dorking around with my settings and took some pics. Didn't like what i got so i came in to read up on Astro's moon guide. by the time i got it all set up right the moon was hazy so i missed out tonight but i will hit it up tomorrow i think i have the settings figured out.

Settings (f/3.5, ISO 1600, 1/2.5) J

moon1.jpg
It would be a good shot if it wasn't for the power lines, noise, and lens flare

yeah it was hand held too, but i did have the VR on. I was just messing with low light stuff with my new lens.

Did you read astros guide? Try usinf f/8 Shutter Speed at 1/125-1/250 and ISO 100. Thats how I take my moon shots...and hand held.

Somebody suggested in a thread here a while back to use the "Sunny 16" rule to take moon pics, and I tried it with good results. For instance, I set my settings at 1/100, f16, ISO 100. Here is a link that explains it-
Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a moon pic I took, at 1/100, f16, ISO 100-
MoonShot2-8-09.jpg

Yay moon thread again lol. I'll just recycle my previous moon shot.

1/350 f/6.7 ISO 100 @200mm and cropped a lot
3264723947_6ba49de46c_o.jpg

Since you are recycling, I'll recycle.

"Point and Shoot" camera handheld
20080118MoonDSCF1264.jpg

Most reactions

Back