I know better...

Go for it!

What's the worst that could happen?

Sarcasm noted Bitter Jewler :)
I actually think I was hoping to get a bunch of responses like that (without the sarcasm) when I posted that. But thankfully I was brought back to reality. Thanks!

Trick question there isn't it? lol lots COULD go wrong. Very wrong.

But with that said...I have done 5 weddings myself, all for free except for one who gave me a gift and they all were very pleased. But, they were all friends with the exception of one who lost their photographer a few days before the wedding and none of them expected those "awesome shots" that wedding photographers can get so it worked out fine for me. I had to have a Speedlite flash or I would have been completely screwed. *I* am not happy with the quality of the pictures but the people were so I guess that is what matters. IF the people know and are willing to accept that 95% of the photos might be completely screwed up and there's not likely to be anything extra special then why not...but I would have them ask family and friends to bring cameras too. I wouldn't accept any money for it (unless it's a gift) until you are truly experienced.

But most people here will probably say no, no no don't try it. and for the most part, they're right :) I think you want to try it to see how you do, for the challenge...understandable, but I'd shadow the pros instead.

Good advice Tenacious Tins, and I think your are right, I'm gonna try to shadow some pros first. Thanks!

If I were you, I would say NO.. but then offer to shoot alongside of whoever they do get.. if it is ok.... but that is all. :)

That's what I'm gonna try, thanks for the advice.

When is the wedding? How long do you have to prepare?

I tend to agree with a lot of what WesternGuy has said. To parrot what he has said, at the very least you need a backup body with similar quality lenses/1 or 2 OCFs, triggers, reflectors and maybe even an assistant.

I've taken a peek at your portfolio, and I think you have a lot of room for improvement.

It's the classic folly that a lot of photographers fall into, believing facebook friends and family when they praise all of your images. When you are getting positive feedback on a site like this one here, where everybody will ruthlessly nitpick even the tiniest flaws, then you know that you've graduated to the next level with your photography.

So if it's a small gig, and you feel that you can pin down all the necessary equipment and get a lot better between now and the wedding... I say go for it. There are no re-do's with covering someones "big day" so you've got to feel confident you can produce a consistent level of quality throughout the event. But as you said, we all have to start somewhere. This may be your opportunity.

Between now and then, if I was you, I'd post a lot of images here for CC. I'd soak up that criticism and go apply it in the field. I'd be a sponge, read and learn, and apply it. Before the wedding I'd find out what sort of lighting situations I'll be faced with. Lots of natural light? Fluorescent? Dim lighting? What am I up against? When I know this, then I'll know better how to prepare, and what to practice for. I'd really try to elevate myself to the next level so I wouldn't let down my friend or family member.

Good luck!

Again great advice! Thanks!

had a quick look at your smugmug and 90+% are under exposed and not very well framed

Thanks for looking and letting me know gsgary. Sucks to hear that but it's appreciated. See what I don't get is, majority of the folks that have seen my photos rave about how great they are and tell me how great i am doing. But that's what is killing me because I keep getting a false sense of accomplishment I guess. They are definitely not professionals, nor am I, just your average Joe Schmoe. But that's who my potential clients are, just your average person. They don't know about exposure, WB, etc.

And I am the same way, I look at most of my photos and I think they are pretty dang good. But I obviously don't know about exposure, WB, etc. either. Is that something that I will learn with experience or is it something you just start getting a feel for the more you do it?

i get the same thing. but its a nice way of keeping you grounded and letting you know that you still have allot of work to do to improve. i try and post up pics on here so they are criticized. photographers are going to be the ones who will be able to nitpick all your flaws and where you need to improve. the people who generally tells us we take great pics are the ones who are comparing our pics to there camera phone pictures or there cheap point and shoots. id look and see if you can find someone qualified to take the pics and see if you can be a 2nd shooter. that way you can get experience doing weddings without being responsible for ruining it.

I love this thread. I was totally wanting to shoot my friends wedding in March since he doesn't have much money. BUT I am going to hold off after reading this. I wasn't going to ask for payment (more of a gift) I guess it wouldn't hurt if he had another photographer there as well. I can just take side pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back