I love my monopod!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Went for my afternoon walk today and it finally happened: A big black dog jumped the fence and came at me teeth bared, growling and barking. Fortunately my hefty Bogen 3018 monopod was hanging on my wrist. I took the initiative, pointed the monopod at his head and lunged at him. He stopped and reconsidered. Then he tried to circle around me and I went after him again monopod swinging. He got smart and jumped back over the fence. I almost peed my pants and I love my monopod! My wife always tells me when I leave, "take your monopod you might need it." I really love my monopod!

Here's a photo of euonymus leaves I took just ten minutes earlier and I used my monopod. I'm going to say it one more time: I love my monopod!

Joe

euonymus.jpg

Hey Joe, don't you know it's not healthy to hold back your emotions. Tell us how you really feel! That must have created a nice pucker factor. Glad you and your pod escaped unscathed. Just as a matter of record, you may want to report the incident to your local animal control department. I have had the unfortunate experience of seeing what a dog can do to a child.

Just as a matter of record, you may want to report the incident to your local animal control department. I have had the unfortunate experience of seeing what a dog can do to a child.

Good point! That hadn't occurred to me. I will look into that.

Joe

P.S. I love my monopod

Your monopod didn't save you!

Your wifes reminder did;)

I still use an OLD two-section, heavy Bogen aluminum and steel monopod...I feel pretty safe with it,and have at times carried it as if it were a club, with my hand through the wrist strap...people could clearly see what it was and what my "carry"of it indicated...it's not black either...it looks like a big, stout staff. The old monopods had massive top sections, much larger in diameter than these new, small,flimsy graphite type ones...the staff or baton are both excellent arm-breakers and extremity-smackers.

I actually like the rough ground Spike you can get for them... it has been a long time since I studied fencing, but I think it would do the job! :)

I've got a friend who never leaves home without hers when she's doing urban exploration. Never know who you'll run into in an abandoned warehouse...

Ahhh, there's that saying that comes to mind again. "Speak softly and carry a big stick, you'll go far" - accredited to President Theodore Roosevelt

Just curious... how many people out there use a monopod? And how well do they work? (I know that might seem like a stupid question, but I figure it only stabilizes one of three axes and it may still be hard to stabilize in the other two...)

I have a fear of big, mean dogs... I'm on Manfrotto's website looking at them now...

Just curious... how many people out there use a monopod? And how well do they work? (I know that might seem like a stupid question, but I figure it only stabilizes one of three axes and it may still be hard to stabilize in the other two...)

I have a fear of big, mean dogs... I'm on Manfrotto's website looking at them now...

Its more for holding the weight and keeping the camera steeady, you're legs act as the other two tripod legs. I mainly shoot sports, and I know a lot of sports people who use a monopod all the time. Personally I own a Bogen monopod, but I don't like them as I move too much...maybe someday when I get a 400mm f2.8 I will need to carry one to keep me steady.

Ahhh, there's that saying that comes to mind again. "Speak softly and carry a big stick, you'll go far" - accredited to President Theodore Roosevelt
There's another saying....

I'm gonna take this right foot and I'm gonna whop you on that side of you face.... and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it. - accredited to Billy Jack.

What? you don't believe me?

:biggrin:

Good on ya for the save with your monopod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still use an OLD two-section, heavy Bogen aluminum and steel monopod...I feel pretty safe with it,and have at times carried it as if it were a club, with my hand through the wrist strap...people could clearly see what it was and what my "carry"of it indicated...it's not black either...it looks like a big, stout staff. The old monopods had massive top sections, much larger in diameter than these new, small,flimsy graphite type ones...the staff or baton are both excellent arm-breakers and extremity-smackers.

Yep, mine is the same old heavy Bogen monopod, but the 3 section (I'm 6' 2"). And I carry it the same way hand through the wrist strap. I'm less inclined to take it on bright sunny days and then my wife makes me take the cell phone instead. So now I'm conjuring up images of trying to beat off that dog with a cell phone while he's chewing on my ankle. From now on the cell phone can stay at home: I love my monopod.

And yes, it can make or break a photo. I keep the ISO as low as possible. Today was a heavy overcast day so the monopod went along and I used it. That photo above is ISO 80 and 1/60th sec. With the monopod supporting the camera it's tack sharp. Most of us can hand-hold a decent photo at 1/60th and with VR/IS/whatever they're passable, but a monopod will put on that last bit of edge.

Joe

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back