I made my own own ring light.

Arob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Plywood cut-out from sink hole in kitchen - jigsaw smaller hole to make donut and painted black - everything black except bulbs

Buy twelve small screw bases from hardware store - run wire to each - put six on one series and six on the other - attach handles and a screw mount - spray paint everything black!

I can switch tungsten bulb sizes and strengths - i get the best results using low watt bulbs with camera lens right in the center of the donut - i love the look of my ring light in a beautiful girl's eye.

People have had great success going to stores where they accept those disposable cameras... picking up 6-10 of them and using those flashes in ring flash setups. They are typically free too!

post up pictures of the rig... and pictures that u've used it on...

I've also seen a home made ring light that was quite creative.

A guy made a donut, similar to that...but he painted it white (or silver...or covered it in foil).

Camera in the middle of the donut, turn the 'ring light' to an angle away from the subject...then shine a light at the 'ring light' at an angle that will reflect the light onto the subject.

I am in the process of building mine using a very light metal bowl from a hardware light, 2 holes (one for lens, other for flash) and some weather strip to protect the lens and flash. All in all about 10 bucks. Probably buy a L bracket too in order to attach the flash at the bottom of the camera and some spray paint to paint it black...or maybe white...haven't decided yet.

I've also seen a home made ring light that was quite creative.

A guy made a donut, similar to that...but he painted it white (or silver...or covered it in foil).

Camera in the middle of the donut, turn the 'ring light' to an angle away from the subject...then shine a light at the 'ring light' at an angle that will reflect the light onto the subject.

I would caution anyone from painting the light white or covering the rig in foil and then using 'on an angle' no no no

The ring lite has just one purpose is photography and that's to make a pretty ring in a girl's eye. The very best ring lights rotate and when you go close on the eyeball you can see the ring rotating ... its awesome

if you are making a ring lite in a metal bowl you are obscuring the source in the reflection - u might as well build a soft box as its cheaper and better source.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back