I made the switch...

CmazzJK

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well... After much deliberation and alot of good advice from people on these forums, a strange unforseen fortunate series of circumstances(a rather large profit sharing bonus on my check this week, I think God really wanted me to buy a Nikon???) I was fortunate enough to trade in my little canon T3 and make what I think was a good investment and purchase a D7100. I got a really good deal on it and already have the money waiting for a nice wide angle zoom and maybe the tamron 150-600, I'm gonna wait for it to come out to decide what route to go with a super telephoto. As you can imagine I am pumped, so I got the 18-140 kit lens for 200 bucks. I figure I can use it to play around with until I learn my Nikon. I am looking to invest in a good lens for landscapes right now, any ideas? I'd like to keep it under 700 bucks. Seems like everyone likes the tokina 11-16 what about the tamron 12-24?

The 11-16 would be perfect for landscapes (unless you don't mind stitching panoramas)--I've heard excellent things about it.

God wants Ohioans to go Nikon. For sure. (New Jersey has been tentatively reserved for Canon users...)

God wants Ohioans to go Nikon. For sure. (New Jersey has been tentatively reserved for Canon users...)

Well it all makes sense now. I was looking more towards the 70D for the last couple of weeks then I realized the Nikon was a better piece of equipment and bam! Bonus Check! The weather is finally supposed to break this weekend too and I can get out and let my dog run around the woods and get some photos.

Welcome to the Nikon side of the fence CmazzJK - where thanks to the improved dynamic range the grass actually is greener.. lol

The D7100 is a fantastic camera, I think you'll love it.

Nice camera and you got a killer deal on that lens for 200. Enjoy

Now you will be tied down to a Nikon but you will be tied down to a great camera,what made you chose the Nikon 7100 over the Pentax KII .........

You can get the Nikkor 12-24 f4 for around 500-600 bucks used in good condition. It's a fantastic lens.

Better yet... get the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 without the focus motor ('116 Pro DX' not the '116 Pro DX-II') for under $300 used. Its a fantastic lens and 1/2 the price of the Nikon :)
(KEH has one for $299 in EX condition)

Congratulations on your upgrade to a Nikon.
I hope you have many happy clicks with it !!

Now you will be tied down to a Nikon but you will be tied down to a great camera,what made you chose the Nikon 7100 over the Pentax KII .........

When I originally picked up the Nikon in comparison to my canon I was turned off from the interface layout. I gave it a couple days and went back and held it again and after taking some pictures and having the person working at the camera store answer my questions for an hour I came around to really enjoying the simplicity of the layout. Plus the look and feel of it just feels good. The raving reviews about the 7100 didn't hurt either.

You can get the Nikkor 12-24 f4 for around 500-600 bucks used in good condition. It's a fantastic lens.

B&H has it for 659.00 new, I think its imported though should I be hesitant to order it? The US version is 230 bucks more....

Correction: that is the 10-24 DX, the 12-24 is about twice that price. I'm assuming its worth spending the extra for the 12-24? Everyone seems to really like the 10-24as far as reviews go, its just slower and limited to the DX mounts, or is the 12-24 that much sharper?

Last edited:
B&H has it for 659.00 new, I think its imported though should I be hesitant to order it? The US version is 230 bucks more.... Correction: that is the 10-24 DX, the 12-24 is about twice that price. I'm assuming its worth spending the extra for the 12-24? Everyone seems to really like the 10-24as far as reviews go, its just slower and limited to the DX mounts, or is the 12-24 that much sharper?

I used a nikon 12-24 at work for years and loved it. Later saw the 10-24 and thought so what about variable aperture, I'm getting this to shoot at 10mm. The color was great but overall my copy felt softer and I was never as happy with the 10-24 at any aperture or focal length. I now use a super sharp Tokina 11-16 but my heart is still with the 12-24

12-24 is also DX only. 14-24 is fx and a holy trinity lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back