I need a fast camera

no need for a speedlight for the example image. the pop-up is fine and just as "rapid"*.

seriously, put the camera in auto-mode, let it pop-up the flash, and enjoy decent images.

*a meaningless metric.

Last edited:
Try a faster shutter speed. Since a camera's recording light and the camera's meter was reading what looks like rather low indoor lighting, it set the shutter speed slow to allow more light into the camera.

I've done sports and events in existing light and it takes learning how to set the camera to get proper exposures in sometimes low light. Try a higher ISO (measure of light sensitivity) and fast enough shutter speed.

Another suggestion based on my experience doing sports/events is there always seem to be posts and poles and signs/lettering, etc. that create lines that can be visually distracting (like that red line down the right side of your image and not so noticeable small signs upper left that are more noticeable than the gray box).

Work on your framing; this would be better without that bright red line (my eyes went right to it) and at less of an odd angle. You could've taken a step or two to the left and in closer and gotten a 'cleaner' composition. I found it takes practice to get shots quickly.

Or... hire a professional (which I'm guessing might not be an option but you get what you get if you're not a pro and might need to bring up your skill level). And a sharper lens (maybe used) would be a help since kit lenses usually aren't the sharpest lenses made.

If you try using a flash, a quick diffuser in a pinch can be using a business card and sticking it onto the flash with a piece of tape so it covers the flash; that should make for less harsh shadows. Try practicing at home, in a garage/carport, etc. in conditions similar to where you'll be taking pictures.

As others have said, some briefly and some not so briefly, there are a couple of ways to deal with the situation in your question.
Personally I would have set the exposure for the sky and used the flash for the near by dog. A little tweaking in Photoshop would be doable as long as you don't overexpose (white out) the sky. White out can only be replaced - not fixed.

With all due respect, I think you have a lot of learning to do. I'm glad you are, because if I had your photo come through on an inspection, I would have some notable concerns.

Others have pointed out a lot of it.

I would encourage you to reconsider the point and shoot. The short bracelet thing? So put a longer strap on it and wallah! It hangs around your neck. As far as durability, my son dropped a decent Canon p&s out the window of a moving train once (relatively slow moving, historical sight seeing kind of train). I saw it bounce off the rocks as we rolled along. We noted the location and went back later. The little door for the battery and memory card had popped open and the battery popped part way out. There were a few cosmetic scratches on the outside as well. Pushed the battery back in, turned it on, and it's still taking good photos to this day. Not sure the 600D would fare any better or worse under the circumstances.

Set it all to auto and let it do the lifting.

I need a fast women, I already have a fast camera. Sorry couldn't help my self. I agree with advice above, sounds very reasonable to me.

Thanks guys, indeed no better than SLR. I have taken my time a bit more, i threw away only a few pics this time. Here's a "good" one for yous maybe you don't get to stand often on top of the lift car:
https://imagebin.ca/v/4QeZrQd2hBHq

My next challenge is since the visor is so awkward to look trhough, may of the photos are tilted :) I could use the rotating display screen to view what I'm looking at instead of using the visor, but nothing beats holding the camera pointing and shooting.

I forgot to mention one point about the point and shoot, I did say that i did not like them because of the bracelet thing and they keep swinging and smacking. Actually there is something even more annoying about them for me who want speed: the time it takes for the lens to pop up is too much.

I have the Canon G7X which when i got it they told me it was the best point and shoot camera in the market (a couple of years ago). Its battery dies too fast. The 600D lasts forever, unbelievable.

I leave the rule-of-thirds composition guidelines turned on in my viewfinder to help things level/straight:

Viewfinder.jpg

Crank up the ISO as far as you can - these aren't gallery submitted issues so who cares about noise? Choose the largest f stop opening that gets you the depth of field you require...get a flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back