I need a fast camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by inou, Dec 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. inou

inou TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,

I was doing an inspection and taking photos very quickly, 30% of the photos come up blurry as below. I really cannot stand still in front of each piece of equipment to take the best photo ever, is there any question I need to ask for my next camera to be able to cater for the need to take photos in hurry?

Link to photo: https://ibin.co/4P42grH5hVRL.jpg

2. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Never rush to take a photo is what I would say.

3. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Always take your time when taking photographs

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What camera did you use to take the photograph and what kind of budget are you looking to spend for this kind of work?

Those are important questions to answer since there are options from point and shoots all the way to DSLRs and more that can do this kind of work.

Honestly if its just inspection work chances are a decent point and shoot or bridge camera and its flash would suit you most of the time. Esp if its all indoor work. For that kind of record keeping shot you don't need high end gear to get a passable quality machine; and if you use flash the entire time whilst indoors it should give you sharp results most of the time.
    A Mirrorless camera might also be better as they are often smaller and if you're indoors and doing fast shots whilst surveying chances are you might prefer a more compact machine than a larger DLSR approach

The only area such cameras might let you down a little on is the auto focus performance. That said as long as its not super dark you should be fine.

5. dunfly

dunfly No longer a newbie, moving up!

I do similar work and have to take a lot of photos in a hurry. The most common problems I run into with a point and shoot are not enough light and motion blur. I use a very small point and shoot with a relatively wide angle of view. I use the flash a lot and use a high ISO (400-800) to get the shutter speed up. I need something that will fit in my pocket, so a DSLR or Mirrorless is out of the question.

You might use a smart phone. It does about as well as a point and shoot.

6. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Will that camera accept a flash? Get a flash attachment and learn how to make good flash photos.

The shot you showed just needs a bit more light so your camera will not try to take a photo with a long-duration shutter opening. A flash "freezes" motion, so even if you are in a hurry the photo should turn out sharp.

Be sure to let the capacitor in the flash recharge between shots. That should take only a few seconds, assuming you set the flash to fairly low power. (1/64 of full power, for instance)

Snap away, get better photos, and be happy! :)

7. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Small compact camera with built in flash should be fine I think.

The key is you need more light to increase the shutter speed to avoid blur due to camera shake.

8. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Actually you already HAVE a very fast camera. For according to the EXIF the photo was taken with:

Canon EOS 600D <- pretty buff, actually, an entry level DSLR with a quite large sensor
    EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II <- kit lens, with image stabilization

Focal Length 27mm <- 40mm full frame equiv
    ISO 1600 <- high, base is usually 100
    Shutter speed 1/40s <- quite slow, but still sufficient if one holds the camera still
    Aperture f4 <- not much light, of course, but that lens doesnt offer more

So this should easily be sharp - if one holds the camera still.

Additionally, your lens has IS[1], which apparently isnt engaged. With IS (and holding the camera still) you should easily manage 1/5 sec with these parameters, which would have allowed to use ISO 200 for near maximum image quality.

[1]: IS = (optical) image stabilization

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Solarflare nailed it!
    While the 600d isn´t the best camera ever, you wouldn´t get spectacular great results with the best pro camera either.
    It may be best to invest a few minutes to learn how this "mistake" could happen.
    Flash will definitely help. Especially if you are in confined spaces, you can bounce the flash off a ceiling or off a wall behind you, and the images will turn out great.

10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This is 1/40th sec using 27mm and no flash. Looking at the EXIF data, it looks like you may have disabled Image Stabilization. Make sure the "Stabilizer" switch on the side of the lens barrel is in the "On" position.

In theory, you can hand-hold a camera with a 27mm at 1/40th sec and get a sharp image... but this involves good technique because (without image stabilization) you're basically at a fairly slow shutter speed for a hand-held shot. This means you take a wide-stance with your legs so your body doesn't sway. You support the camera from below with elbows tucked in so you brace the camera (if elbows are extended out sideways so your arms and palms of your hands are not supporting the camera body from below then you are more likely to shake when the camera takes a shot and you'll get results just like the one you posted.

IS will normally save you by giving you an extra couple of stops of shutter speed. IS isn't a guarantee that you'll get a stable shot... it merely tilts the odds more in your favor than they would be without it (usually dramatically more in your favor).

Using the flash will also help (it would have helped this shot). This is because the flash burst lasts for a VERY brief fraction of a second and that's what exposes the shot. You can generally "freeze" action with a flash that wouldn't be possible to freeze without the flash. Just take care when photographing shiny things. In this photo the green panel is at a 45° angle to the camera ... which is great when using flash. If it had been "flat" the camera (not at an angle) then you'll get the reflection of the flash off the shiny flat painted surface shining right back at you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Strodav

Strodav TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Since your Canon 600D is more than capable of taking very sharp images my guess is you just don't have the time to learn good techniques. If that's the case, look at using your smart phone. As long as you hold it relatively still, it will give you a good result and you can see the image immediately on the screen to see if its OK or you need to retake it. My iphone 8+ has 2x 12 megapixel cameras in it, one for closeups and one for a little farther out and the zoom results are fairly impressive. Don't spend money on a new camera unless you have the time to seriously practice with it.

• Like Like x 2