I need advice Immediately about buying a SLR camera.. Thanks

jman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I can't wait buying my first SLR camera and I just can't choose the perfect one for me.

I also need an advice about lenses that I should buy...
(I'm a newbe that just started studying photography)

I am locked on Canon for some reason...

Thank you very much...

P.S. Because of shortage with money I think that film SLR is the right for me since DSLR is too expensive.

A specific budget is a good start.
For a smaller budget, I personally would search for used. My ElanIIe QD has served me quite well and I found it quite easy to learn/operate. The eye-control feature in the ElanIIe is not necessary so I would go with the ElanII to save a few more bucks. The QDate back is also not necessary. Again, save some bucks for a good lens. A good conditioned ElanII should run no more than $200. Cheaper than its newer cousin the Elan 7 or 7e.

I then would also go with a little longer zoom lens: 28-105mm. USM is nice but not necessary. I believe a new f/3.5-4.5 and the USM f/4-5.6 can be both purchased for under $200. I would also recommend getting a tripod if you already do not have one. I found a tripod necessary for good sharp pictures.

Good luck.

what you should do is go to a camera store and get a different feel for the camera you want. hold it play with it. i was hell bent on getting a canon 10d, but when i went to the store i picked up a completely diff camera. so i ordered the nikon n80. its all about feel. one thing that i have noticed is that i hate zoom lenses. as a matter of fact i think i despise them. so its good to get a feel for what you really want. im a severe newb when it comes to photography, but i love it to no end. i cant give much help in terms of technical stuff, but from one newb to another my best advice is go to the store and really ask questions and look.

hi there this is actually my firstpost ever. okay now to business--i work in a camera store--i sell cameras
i am a canon girl myself but if you are going for more bang for your buck (and if you are anything like me you have a lot less buck) i would suggest a nikon n75 (my canon just shivered). it has a brand new metering system that is better than the n80 and you can change your points of focus . it features to use than the n80 (if i had started with an n80 i would have cried).for a beginer it has room to grow
but honestly you need to go and become bestfriends with the sales rep at a reputable dealer in your area-hold it, and compare.

If you go with canon and want a zoom get the 28-105 USM 3.5-4.5, DO NOT get the 28-105 4-5.6 or the 28-90 USM, those are both crappy and worthless lenses. If you want to keep the price down get the canon 50mm 1.8 prime. The 50mm is a sharp lens and is a good one to start with because it helps to teach you to move around to make a good shot, plus it's alot better in low light. I have a 50mm and use it more than I use my zooms. It is also one of the few lenses, maby the only lens that the words "cheap" and "quality"are both used to descibe it.

The Canon 50mm 1.8 prime is a great lens and really does not cost that much. If you can find the earlier generation of this lens, you are in luck. Highly sought after and its metal mount is a bonus ( newer version is plastic ) I use it quite a bit as well. For someone who is purchasing their first body+lens combination, they might want at least some sort of zoom lens and "learn" it really well. I personally would've found a 50mm prime lens pretty limiting if it was my one and only lens. I learned off a minolta with a 35-80mm lens and enjoyed it very much.

BTW: I have a relative that really enjoys their n75 and has recommended it as a good value. I personally haven't had any experience with nikon but from the postings here looks like a good option. Then again... you did say you were locked into canon.

Most reactions

Back