I Need Help! Pinhole Camera

paranoid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I work for a commercial production company in LA & will be filming a BMW M3 commercial. I need a pinhole camera or something comperable in what it can do. I haven't been able to find a pinhole camera ANYWHERE! Basically, I need this camera to sit inside the cylinder of the engine as the piston of the engine is firing. It has to be HD & be able to withstand high heat...

Does anybody know where I could find a pinhole camera for this?

Or does anybody know of anything that would work for this & where to find it?

Any help would be greatly apreciated & I do apolijize if this is in the wrong section. I'm kind of crazy & just looked thru the forum quickly!

[email protected]

You do realize that nobody ever does stuff like that for commercials right?
They use graphic artists using Maya, or 3DStudioMax to do that...

Though if you wanted to try...
no I don't know where you'd do that. But I'm pretty sure it's not called a pinhole camera...because that's something completely different.

You do realize that nobody ever does stuff like that for commercials right?
They use graphic artists using Maya, or 3DStudioMax to do that...

Though if you wanted to try...
no I don't know where you'd do that. But I'm pretty sure it's not called a pinhole camera...because that's something completely different.

any idea what it might be called? or what anything possible to shoot this might be called?

You have a couple of problems.

Even with a camera that could withstand high heat, how would it survive inside the cylinder with all those explosions? At the very least, it would move, unless (And this brings up problem 2):

If it's attached to the wall of the cylinder somehow, it's possible. But how are you going to do that? Do you want to drill holes in it to mount the camera with? How will you repair it once the camera is taken back out?

3D graphic artists these days are really good, and most people can't tell the difference between reality and their 3D models. That'd be where I would focus my attention.

Just my opinion.... :)

Let's see, HD resolution, able to fit inside a working engine, ultra high speed,... wireless?

I think it is safe to say this device does not exit, or if it does it is very expensive and part of a corporate R&D facility to study internal combustion.

It is going to be way more practical to produce this in a 3D environment, and with tools like Maya, 3DS Max, XSI, Mental Ray, etc.. the look can be extremely realistic and infinitely editable.

Did I mention I'm a 5 time Emmy winning 3D Artist with 20 years experience?

-Shea :mrgreen:

An endoscope would provide the image, but I don't know of a model that would survive the heat. In aerospace testing and inspection we called them borescopes. Olympus make the ones I've used inspecting jet engines and with some great results. Ethicon is another brand. They are NOT cheap. I think you might consider using the spark plug hole to record the action in the cylinder while it's cranked over, then use CG to add the intake fuel mist, spark, flame propagation and exhaust. Just pretend you are inspecting someones colon, with added computer graphics!

i was just thinking of that video as well, and yeah, i'm pretty sure its near impossible to have an HD video from inside a car engine with the technology we have now.

Most reactions

Back