i need help with camera selection!

GRUNTILDA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, so i am in the market for a new dslr after having to sell my d5000 almost a year ago. ive been reading/watching reviews of the d5100, d7000, and just though about the d90. i think im going to get the body only for now with the 50mm 1.8 nikon lense to get back into the game. i dont have a ton of money to spend right now so the d7000 with that lense would probably be the max on my budget. i want a camera where that i wont be looking to upgrade say for another 5-6 years or so if not longer, but then again who really knows. im doing this as a very enjoyable hobby and nothing more. thanks for any input!

Well what do you plan on taking pictures of?

-ken Turner

Landscape, street, architecture, sports (rare)...it would be used for a little bit of everything i guess. I know that requires various lenses, but I just mean to get back into things. I should also mention that i have no interest in shooting video.

Last edited:
GRUNTILDA said:
Landscape, street, architecture, sports (rare)...it would be used for a little bit of everything i guess. I know that requires various lenses, but I just mean to get back into things.

Of you want those, DO NOT only have a 50mm lens. I would recommend the 18-50mm from Sigma.

Body wise, I would hands down go with the D7000. I'm not much of a Nikon person, but if you insist on getting one, I've heard GREAT things about that body, and you should be VERY happy with it. Btw, there aren't very many DSLRs that you can keep for more than a few years.

-ken Turner

What is your skill level? Were you proficient with the D5000? Or were you still learning it? The D5100 is a wonderful entry-level camera, imo (and the one I own), but it IS entry-level, and as such, it's not really much of an upgrade from a D5000.

If it were me, I'd go with the D7000, hands down, assuming you had sufficient skill with your D5000. Particularly since you want something you'll be happy with for several years, the 7000 seems like a great option.

Thanks! I have taken some photography classes in high school and in college, and aslo had alot of time behid the d5000, so i wouldn't say im exactly a beginner, although I wouldn't say im intermediate either, so I'll go with slightly experienced haha. I don't plan of having just that one lense for forever but for the first say 2 months of me owning the camera, it would be my only lense.

Sounds to me like you already made your mind up and dont really need any help with your camera selection.

So just for the record, personally I prefer the D5100.

First, I wouldnt want to ever get a camera without a swivel monitor. Thats what I loved about my G11 and what I wanted to have again.

Also, the D5100 is substantly lighter than the D7000. Only 550g vs 775g. Thats a factor to me, the lighter it is, the more fun it is to use. The D3200 is only mildly lighter (500g), so thats not so important.

Third, the D5100 and the D7000 have the same fotochip, so no advantage for the D7000 there. But I definitely also wanted to have the chip with the amazing dynamic range of 12 for ISO 100, and the high tolerance for low light. So the D3200, 24 Megapixels or whatever, wasnt really much of a concurrence ("only" has 9,3 dynamic range at ISO 100, granted both are well above the 8 thats supported by monitors and most graphic image file formats).

Although I must add that i was looking into the canno 60d and t3i as well.

Selection of a 'perfect' camera is always challenging. If they are good, chances are they are also expensive. Otherwise why would manufacturers design so many different models? I have owned the D5000 and I must say it is a great camera. I trade it for the D300 pre-owned.

For me, I like the easy of changing the settings without having going into the menu. So depending on what you shoot and needs, choose one that you feel comfortable. I also never use those pre-set setting, only A,S and M. Most times, I use M. So all those additional buttons are of no value to me too.

I read you like sport, so 4-6 fps is something you got to consider. A quick AF and ...... well the whole list. Just watch out what are the most important. If you add them up, you will neeed the D4s. Good luck.

ugh... i really cant decide. i have narrowed it down to the d5100 or the d7000....i think. i know if i get the d5100 (body only) ill probably be able to afford 2 lenses ( im thinking a prime 35 or 50mm 1.8) and maybe another mid range tele or another prime? i would appreciate suggestions with that as well. anyway with the body the and the 2 lenses id also be able to affor a spare battery and sd cards and tripod for almost the same price as the d7000 with lense. so i can obviously see what the best value would be. i guess the question comes down to is can the d5100 produce the same quality of pictures that the d7000 can ( i know its the same sensor and it mostly comes down to me) and also would the camera hold up to say casual weekend street / landscape shooting? im just afraid of it feeling too much like a toy i guess. oh yea, and how would the d5100 hold up in dusk/ nighttime shooting with little to no flash?

If you can, wait for the D7000 upgrade. One of two things will happen; you will want that new D7100 because of all the new features or people will be selling D7000's very cheap. The D7000 is a great camera.

is that release supposed to be soon? it dosent matter either way because i still have to build up the funds for any camera so time is on my side at this point.

Since money is an issue... I would either get a used D90 or a used D7000. The D5100 does not have the built in focusing motor. With the D90 and D7000 you can meter and AF with older and often MUCH cheaper lenses.

my only worry with the d90 is being left behind in the tech standpoint. i mean i know either way unless your made of money your always gonna be "left behind" in terms of tech, but is the d90's 12mp too far behind? how is the image quality? also would you trust a referb body? i see alot of them at a good price on BH

The D4 only has 16MP... is it behind the D7000 with its 16MP? Would you take a D5100 with 16MP over a D700 with only 12MP? The D90 is just as good now as it was when it first came out.

Most reactions

Back