I need help...

Gr8outdrsmn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to DSLRs and I am trying to weigh all of the options of all of the models. I am narrowing my choices a good bit. I think that I am down to the Canon 30d and the Nikon D80. Honestly, why should I buy one over the other? If you have a different model to suggest, I will happily look at it. I am at an impass and really need your help. Thanks.

Oh yeah, the types of photography I plan on doing are: Sports, Nature/Wildlife, Events, and Portraits.

Any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I don't have any objective advice, and I hope that this isn't against forum rules, but I would recommend the Canon simply because I've been using Canons for the last 4 years and I have never had a problem with them, and I really like them. However, that said, my dad had a Nikon for over 20 years and it was still working when he sold it ... so, without having tested those two models personally, I really can't help much. Have you tried reading the reviews on dpreview.com?

Thanks for the honesty. Yes, I have been reading reviews on them on dpreview. Some push me one way, then I end up getting pulled back the other, haha.

my .02 is it is generally going to come down to user choice. The camera is just a box that exposes light, and most people are going to recommend the brand they use, b/c it works for them. For instance, I am quite happy with the Pentax line myself. Many will snub their nose at Pentax b/c they are not as popular as the "big two". Keep in mind that you are buying into a system and not just that camera. That is one reason that I went w/ Pentax, since they have not changed their mount, I can still find some great glass on Ebay or other sites for little of nothing. Many regard the some of the prime lenses of Pentax of the highest quality anywhere.

So back to your question of canon v. nikon? Which ever fits best in your hand and feels 'right'. And make sure you are comfortable w/ their line of lenses.

I've been away for a bit, so I'm not entirely familiar with those models in detail, but I would assume they're very comparable.

Canon vs Nikon has no answer. Handle both models and the one below in the range as well and see which you like best. Also, you may find that one has logic and naturally makes sense and the other doesn't - time yourself on changing the flash exposure compensation for example.

Rob

Most reactions

Back