I need information on Free software program to edit photos..

If you can find a site to download Picasa.
I use that for basic editing; straightening, crop, limited lighting (beyond very basic I take it into PS Elements), basic color correction.
Goggle no longer supports it, so you cannot download from Goggle :apologetic:
i will try to find it but i doubt i will if google does not have it..

There are sites that you can download stuff from when the original site is gone.
Try doing a Goggle search.
But I would be careful of some of these sites, as there may be malware on them.
Picasa was a Google product and they killed it about 20 year ago

I need information on Free software program to edit photos..especially simple things like cropping ... somehow when i had my computer serviced i lost the program i was using..i don't even see it listed in the control panel etc..so i quess it was totally wiped out.. i am using windows 7 and there does not seem to be a free program anymore.. i want to be able to load photos on and crop all in one place.. not have to load the photos onto photo sites.. please help..hope i made sense.. thanks
The basic editor I have use for years is IrfanView. It's available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

If you can find a site to download Picasa.
I use that for basic editing; straightening, crop, limited lighting (beyond very basic I take it into PS Elements), basic color correction.
Goggle no longer supports it, so you cannot download from Goggle :apologetic:
i will try to find it but i doubt i will if google does not have it..

There are sites that you can download stuff from when the original site is gone.
Try doing a Goggle search.
But I would be careful of some of these sites, as there may be malware on them.
Picasa was a Google product and they killed it about 20 year ago
I have picasa now..love it except when i edit the photos they look great but when i upload them somewhere else it uploads only the original photo..something i am doing wrong or missing???

I need information on Free software program to edit photos..especially simple things like cropping ... somehow when i had my computer serviced i lost the program i was using..i don't even see it listed in the control panel etc..so i quess it was totally wiped out.. i am using windows 7 and there does not seem to be a free program anymore.. i want to be able to load photos on and crop all in one place.. not have to load the photos onto photo sites.. please help..hope i made sense.. thanks
The basic editor I have use for years is IrfanView. It's available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
I will look into this one!!!thanks

I have Picasa that I use for quick edits of JPEG images, when I know I don't have to do much to them. I have never had a problem with uploading the original photo. When you upload to Picasa, it usually puts the image in a separate folder in the Pictures directory. Are you sure you are not uploading the source image rather than the processed image. They are likely to be in different places.

I have Picasa that I use for quick edits of JPEG images, when I know I don't have to do much to them. I have never had a problem with uploading the original photo. When you upload to Picasa, it usually puts the image in a separate folder in the Pictures directory. Are you sure you are not uploading the source image rather than the processed image. They are likely to be in different places.
That may be my problem.But if this is the problem then i will have to figure out how to find the new folder.. . also it occasionally pops up google and wants me to sign in.. maybe it is still attached in some way to google..so far i have not signed in.. i will try that..{after i find my password for google} lol.. thank you

Here's a FREE on-line editing/effects application that I have personally used.

Online Photo Editor | Pixlr Editor

It has some neat overlays, and some neat border/edge effects. The application can be downloaded and used off-line, on your computer, OR you can edit on-line, in real-time, pretty easily, and then save the images to your phone or computer, so that's a plus, the ability to turn the application off of "the cloud" from any connected device.

Here is frame 0074.jpg, edited using different Pixlr overlays. As you can see by the square crop from this vertical capture, Pixlr DOES allow you to crop pictures, and to apply interesting effects. These are some of the more dramatic, bold effects Pixlr offers. It also offers VERY subtle, delicate effects, including some gorgeous soft-tone and soft-focus effects, very subtle ones that look fantastic, in my estimation. Using one image allows you to sort of compare what the overlays or effects look like.

0074_soft border_scratches.jpg
0074_Scrap corners_leak.jpg 0074_Rustic_devine.jpg 0074_orange overlay.jpg 0074_orange overlay.jpg 0074_Rustic_devine.jpg 0074_Scrap corners_leak.jpg 0074_soft border_scratches.jpg

Last edited:

It's amazing how styles have changed... back in the film days, if our photos came back from the lab looking like this we'd be pretty upset with the lab.

Now we have tools designed to do this deliberately.

;-)

It's amazing how styles have changed... back in the film days, if our photos came back from the lab looking like this we'd be pretty upset with the lab.

Now we have tools designed to do this deliberately.

;-)

I know, right? Faked light leaks! Faked scratched negatives! Blurrrrrry lens effects! Etc.,etc.,etc..!

I guess this desire for imperfect and deliberately distressed images is one of the key differences between the "old days" of photography, which used film, and this current era in which we find ourselves, the era of digital imaging. I actually draw a distinction between the two endeavors, that of photography, and that of digital imaging.

I think of of the best things that Pixlr offers is its wide selection of picture borders. Not as intrusive as an image overlay, placing a digital image inside of the right border can often times improve the shot.

Online Photo Editor | Pixlr Editor

It has some neat overlays, and some neat border/edge effects. The application can be downloaded and used off-line, on your computer, OR you can edit on-line, in real-time, pretty easily, and then save the images to your phone or computer, so that's a plus, the ability to turn the application off of "the cloud" from any connected device.

Here is frame 0074.jpg, edited using different Pixlr overlays. As you can see by the square crop from this vertical capture, Pixlr DOES allow you to crop pictures, and to apply interesting effects. These are some of the more dramatic, bold effects Pixlr offers. It also offers VERY subtle, delicate effects, including some gorgeous soft-tone and soft-focus effects, very subtle ones that look fantastic, in my estimation. Using one image allows you to sort of compare what the overlays or effects look like.

I appreciate your reply.. all i need is the basics.. like cropping and fine tuning.. and i am happy.. which Picasa has but still having trouble with being able to upload the photos.. they come out like they were never edited even after i edit them.. i don't understand what i am doing wrong.. except i cannot remember my google password..they make things so difficult.. i will try this though.. maybe it will be okay..thanks

GIMP, Infanview, etc., the free Canon DPP is pretty good
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
I will try this thanks so much.. i love picasa... oh so much.. but no luck after hours of trying eveything to upload edited photos.. i just do not understand why it won't work even after i found the password to google... and the other one took me to an empty page,... so i will try this one..

Silly question, when you save your edited photo, are you renaming it ?

Cheers, Don
That might not be a silly question.. i will try this.. thanks

Most reactions

Back