I need some feedback, please.

overcomefame

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new. My name is April, and I'm an aspiring photographer. I'm 20 years old, and I would like to minor in photography, but I would like to get some feedback first, because, well, I just don't know whether I'm good enough or even have potential. I'd appreciate anything you guys can give me. Thanks. :D

137477-3.jpg

137477-2.jpg

137477-1.jpg

howdy there April and welcome to the forum
1 it's a bit dark but it's a great picture nice setup
2 this one is a bit over saturated if you backed the lights and darks down a bit it'd also be a great photo
3 is my fav if the stairs were just a bit more in focus it'd be a perfect pic
lighting is great, comp is nice and stylish it's a very moody pic

well have fun

thank you very much...they reason #3 is kinda out of focus is because it was shot through a fence, so the unfocused part is actually the fencing..it is one of my favorites though...thanks again.

Welcome to TPF, April!

I liked your shots generally, but like c0ntr0lz said, the highlights are a bit blown out on the 1st two. I really like #1, tho. I scrolled it up until the overexposed part was cropped out of the frame, and it's really nice.

Keep working. I think you have a nice natural eye. A wise man once said "Talent is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration."

Just keep shooting, and learning from each shot.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

overcomefame said:
I just don't know whether I'm good enough or even have potential.

Potential is meaningless without hard work, while hard work is still valuable without potential. Go for it, you can do it.

I'm not really into abstract (displays of form and texture) and that's probably because I haven't the class/culture exposure necessary to appreciate it. However, IMHO I think #3 is the strongest based on technique and exposure control.

I liked #1 and #2 but they are too contrasty IMHO. The highlights are blown out, and the shadows are without detail.

composition in #2 could be improved if cropped from the left margin to the first tree. The path creates a nice convergence that leads the eyes from the lower right corner into the photo. The tree on the left begins a "line of repetitive objects" that supports the convergence. I would like to have viewed a color rendition properly exposed of this shot.

Adjust the midtone curves in photoshop of #1 and #2 and the pics could probably be improved.

Please keep in mind that my opinions are not opinions of a professional and they rarely coincide with other opinions on this forum. And that, in and of itself, automaticly causes me to think that my perceptions are possibly flawed.

My attitude is that geneous is mostly effort--that's why I keep trying to appreciate and improve my perception as I observ other's submissions and their comments.

Rebel

hi, april!
i agree with contolz and drlynn about the pics
#3 is my fav -;)

i think you have a good eye, but i also think that you shouldn't bother yourself about 'potential' or 'beeing good enough' as much -;)
i mean - if you feel like taking pics - just do it - and try to do it good, -;)
just keep working - im sure you'll see the good effects soon -;))

hope to see more from you -;)
cheers!

Most reactions

Back