I need some help

DrunkenGiraffe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't seem to get the exposure right for bay/black horses. Example:
DSC_0062small.jpg

I know that focus isn't great here, but that's a different issue and I just used the first photo I could find to try and show what I mean.
Sometimes I just get lucky and it works, but a lot of the time, I don't get any detail on the horse. Is this an issue with the wrong metering mode? I have tried using different modes, usually I use centre-weighted, is this right? It seems to be the biggest issue when they are in motion, as I think I get it right when the are still. (see http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/215216-what-do-you-think.html)
Basically I just want some tips on how to get the exposure right for a dark horse, because I really struggle with it.

The metering mode its self isnt really relevant if you use the correct exposure. it just gives you an indication to the setting you need. In this case it would look at the fact there is bright white and dark in the same scene, so the dark horse could look too dark and the white blown. In my opinion it would be best to photo the dark animal against a midtone sort of background. also perhaps the sharpness is not there as the shutter speed is not fast enough for stopping movement. I would personally try to use 1/500th, at say f5.6 and then depending on the light up the iso until the exposure looks ok...of course if the horse was running and you were panning you could use a bit slower shutter and a wider aperture if your lens can do that.
also id shoot anything like this in RAW, then you can fill the light to brighten the shadows, if need be. Just my opinion. what mode are you in? Aperture priority?

try different angle. The horse is all in shadow.. Either come closer and use your flash, or use a different angle. If you expose it higher, the girl will be so blown.

The only way you could have properly exposed the horse in this scene is by using spot metering mode, because the side of the horse the camera sees is in hard shadow.
But, then the fence and and other highlights would be blown out (having an RGB value of 255, 255, 255 and no visible detail). As it is, the riders blouse is already blown out in this shot.

If you do not have a good flash you can use as fill to balance the shaded side of the horse with the rest of the bright sunlit portions of the scene, something has to give and one part of the scene, or the other, will not be exposed properly.

That's why pro shooters almost always use supplimental lighting when shooting outdoors.

Your camera does not have enough dynamic range to get the exposure for the girls top and the dark horse, shoot for exposure on the horse and the girl will be over exposed, i would shoot for the girls top and use a bit of shadow recovery
986447781_o8AaY-L.jpg

Choosing your positioning can help like this shot
868758937_B4qoh-L.jpg

The only way you could have properly exposed the horse in this scene is by using spot metering mode, because the side of the horse the camera sees is in hard shadow.
But, then the fence and and other highlights would be blown out (having an RGB value of 255, 255, 255 and no visible detail). As it is, the riders blouse is already blown out in this shot.

If you do not have a good flash you can use as fill to balance the shaded side of the horse with the rest of the bright sunlit portions of the scene, something has to give and one part of the scene, or the other, will not be exposed properly.

That's why pro shooters almost always use supplimental lighting when shooting outdoors.

But not with horses ;) i would never use flash with a horse and rider

I've shot a number of equestrian events, and I for fill during the day, I wouldn't hesitate to use flash at the sort of distance in the OP image.

I've shot a number of equestrian events, and I for fill during the day, I wouldn't hesitate to use flash at the sort of distance in the OP image.

You would be thrown out over here, flash is not allowed at the events i shoot at especially FEI events

The horses in england are sensitive to light I heard :). The would go nuts if they see a flash :)

The shot you posted of the rider and horse is plagued by strong side-lighting...there's almost no direct sunlight on the side of the horse closest to the camera. As you can see, the sunlight is striking the woman's chest area, and her legs,and the horse's forehead--you need to get some light onto a dark horse. Take a look at gsgary's shot...look at the way there is sunlight striking the horse and the rider...

At events, the photographer needs to set up in such a way that there is good lighting on the subjects.

Cool thanks. I have had photos were the horse comes out pretty good like this
DSC_2583.jpg

I was just wonderering what I could have done better when that sort of thing like the first picture happens. Basically don't bother if the horse is in shadows? I'm not comfortable using flash just because of how unpredictable horses are.

Agreed - not only a better position. but I would also say overall better lighting - we can control and manipulate only so far (esp when we can't use flashes and such like with horses) and after that we are totally dependant on the lighting - if its poor even pros will suffer in such lighting.

As for horses the general advice is if in doubt don't use it - as Gary has said most horse events won't let you use flash at all. However I suspect that a great many horses are more used to flash these days than we give them credit for - most people have a point and shoot camera; and most point and shoots always use the flash. So chances are many horses are exposed to the flash from 5 seconds after birth and onwards.
If you are working closer with the horses you can always try both asking the owners/rider (1st port of call) and secondly flashing the horse whilst its in a stable/paddock without the rider to gauge its reaction. This is easier if you have an external flash rather than a popup flash as it means you can use the flash on its own - if the horse has a negative reaction you just don't put the flash on your camera and the horse won't have a bad association with the camera when you do use it. If you get a negative reaction do remember to make it up with the horse right after - last thing you want is a horse mistrustful of you as well.

Most reactions

Back