I need some type of Zoom Lens?

crowl31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a zoom/every day lens. I currently have the XTI, kit lens and the 50mm 1.8. I want something that has some zoom but also has a nice aperture. I realize what i probally want cost a $hit load of money that i 'm not ready to invest. So i'm curious if a mid range alternative exisit.

Does anyone have any recomendations?

I'm considering the Canon EF-S 17-85/4-5.6IS USM
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
any comments on it?

Is there a cheaper off brand that is comparable in quality.

Thanks for all your help :thumbup:, sorry if this is a repeat post.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Around $500 will get you a 17-55ish f/2.8 mid-range zoom from Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina. I personally have a Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro for Nikon that I'm pretty pleased with. It's not completely sharp all over at f/2.8 like the $1000 lenses will be, but for $250 used I'm pretty pleased.

Curious if people think that its worth it to sacrifice less zoom for a faster aperture?

Also saw this lens...
Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon SLR

Any feed back on it?

What kind of shooting do you mostly do? Are you going to be doing a lot of low light or night shots or mostly sunny or brightly lit places? And as for the lens never used it but got decent reviews on photozone.

That Tamron is supposed to be a pretty good lens, but 28mm isn't very wide on an XTi. Maybe that'll be okay and maybe it won't. All of the lenses that you added in are very different from each other, so it all depends on what you're looking to shoot with it.

I mostly shoot at family gatherings, so typically indoors.

Eventually I want to shoot sporting events but that is once I get better.

Then you'll in all likelihood want something wider than 28mm. I'd stick with the 17ish to 55ish mm type zooms, fast f/2.8 or not.

Most reactions

Back