I need to know, its all about fashion photography and lights. Help!

OGFoLife

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im doing a photo shoot this weekend with an art piece and a female model.
I im ganna have her in a very elegant dress and makeup as-well as very outrages red eye shadow but i still don't know how to get her skin the way i see in magazines.
I also wanna know what is a good way to light her? i only have what i can find im a student
The art peace is hanging from the celling its white with a soft red light coming from the center of it and the room lights are tungsten.
I have a flash, that i have so much trouble using there are no automatic settings so I us it manually.

pleas help im dying to know it all

thanks

I'm just a noob, but I have always heard to use a lot of powder to make the skin appear smoother... Can't wait to hear everyone else's ideas!

We'll need to know a few things first. Such as what exactly do you have as far as equipment, can you get your flash off the camera and still use it, which post processing are you using, an example of the look you want- a link will do nicely- how large is the room, how tall is the ceiling, is there a window, if there is a window which direction does it face unless you will be shooting at night, remember that reflectors -scrims -flags -stands and backgrounds count as equipment and so on.

Sounds kind of complicated doesn't it.

Let us know and we'll see what we can do. ;)

Your not going to get a studio effect without proper lighting and the knowledge of how to use it, these model shoots are usually performed with thousands of pounds worth of equipment and a top pro photographer then the photographs/images are retouched professionally in photoshop, Its artwork, not something you can achieve with a flashgun and a couple of lightbulbs. Sorry, H

I agree the way you get th look that fashion photographers get is with lots of experience and knowledge and the right gear. The gear you might get away without using but the experience and knowledge is the hard part.

LOL you guys weren't paying attention.. college student, female model, elegant dress, fun makeup, a bit of art in the background and a camera.

Some people live for this!! :lol:

Get back with us and we'll see what we can do.

btw, if you are talking about the skin effect I think you are then it's a photoshop effect and you should just concentrate on proper lighting and focus.

For the skin, I think that retouching In photo shop is the ticket. But if you are willing to put a lot of time and effort into this, you can accomplish great results using a bunch a of the shelf hardware store lighting, foam core reflectors and flags,(you can get foam core that is white on one side and black on the other). I would cobble together any work lights/clamp lamps/ flood/spot bulbs/ that silver thing that blocks sun from your car when its parked, and a very patient stand in for your model, and experiment a lot before the actual shoot.

Buy lunch/dinner for everyone that help, it tends to keep people happy.

Yes, plenty of Photoshop is the essential ingredient in almost all fashion photography nowadays.

As the art has a light source, you are going to have to balance the effect of your flash with the effect of that source. You may also want to maintain the colour fidelity of the light source in the art. This may mean that you have to gel your flash. Remember that adjusting the shutter speed will affect the balance between the existing light and the flash.

Good luck,
Helen

A really good makeup artist can go along way also. Again, a stand in with similar skin tone as your model, would be a good place to start.

mg0924wk1.jpg

Did you do a custom White Balance? Looks really green.

You are really going to need to get the flash off the camera and shield the artwork from it or the shadows will kill you. You are also going to need to get some reflectors for fill because you will have to fire low with the flash to get under the sculpture and still light your model which will cause some funky lighting on her face- and not in a good way.

Do a quick analysis of her face to see which side, if either, has the higher eye and or ear. Also check that the eyes and ears are about the same size with no issues. You are probably going to want to flash from the right because of the way the sculpture is but if the right side of her face is her best side in a big way, do what you can. Also if she has a wide face you should short light her and broad light her if she has a narrow face. (see here.. http://photocamel.com/forum/lighting-technique/5649-broad-lighting-vs-short-lighting.html )

Be sure to use camera raw+jpg and do the custom WB.

This will get you started and remember to have the camera put away before opening the wine. breaking your camera is a lousy way to end an evening. ;)

mike

There are at least three colours of light in that picture (appearing to be the dominant green source; sky blue pink; and white, when reading left to right). If these light sources are tungsten, then set the camera to tungsten balance - do not try to white balance using a coloured light source. You may already understand that, and your picture looks like it could be a faithful rendition - the green tint could be true.

You seem to have a problem with dynamic range. Was this picture taken with the camera you are going to be using? Will you be able to use colour negative film? Obviously you need to light the model in a way that is in tune with the way the art is lit because light is so much a part of this piece. Not only will the nature and intensity of the light on the model have to be right, but you will have to match the colour temperature of the unfiltered sources - otherwise the colours will not look true.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back