I need to rant...

... and good lenses...

It's not just the aspect of "starting a business..."
There is a general misconception that simply buying an expensive camera and a few expensive lenses will 'suddenly' (and magically) transform the buyer into a 'Pro...' capable of making "good" photographs...
It's just not so...
Jedo

No, no, no. Don't these persons realize that it's also a requirement to buy Photoshop software and screw around with RAW files?

PS - My first SLR was the original "Honeywell Pentax" Spotmatic that I purchased in 1964. I still have it and, as far as I'm aware, it still works.

Buy Photoshop? :lmao:

I don't steal.

AGAIN?!

:roll:

Who cares, it just makes the real pros look that much better... Survival of the fittest and all that.

After all, this IS still a relatively free country - if people want to charge for their services and people are willing to pay for those services so be it.

Rant away, like all the other people who started threads like this - guess what, it doesn't change a thing - probably doesn't even make you feel better.

+1

My question is don't any of these people that start up a photography business with no experience have any consideration for the industry and the client that you are screwing? You may have a good eye for light but you still need training and experience. I think it shows their lack of character.

for a lot of people, they are just trying to make a quick buck, its not that they don't care about screwing someone over, its just that cheap photography is a good way to make a quick buck.. and they really think they are capable of doing it..

i know the first time i went out one my own and did a photoshoot, I honestly thought I was good.. and the client was very happy with the results, i look back now, at those photos, and they were nothing short of sh!t! after that experience, i stopped advertising myself, and learned more...

Now, with confidence I can advertise myself, and charge what I charge, and know that the client will get what I consider to be a good end product.. not just what they think is good.

There are $1 burgers and people buy them again and again. There are $10 burgers and people buy them again and again. As long as the $1 burger is sell it as $1 burger, I do not think there is a problem.

hey .. even if $1 burger sell it as $10 burger and people still buy them, I may not have problem with it, but I will not buy it.

Anyone complaints about paying couple bucks for a bottle of water? And in which it may have a higher percentage of contamination than regular US tape water.

If the market allow such business exist, I do not think there is a problem.

I agree with you. But no worries must of these "business" dont last long at all and they wont achieve much.

I guess I'll play bad guy in this thread. I have always had an interest in photography, but nothing serious. This time around, I bought a camera for the sake of learning, practicing, and perhaps most importantly, ultimately turning it into a business. I don't think it shows a lack of character at all.

I'm not concerned with not having years of experience. Photographers are hired based on the images they create. If I'm able to create photos that make people want to hire me, I don't think it matters if I've been shooting for a week or a decade.

Obviously, where the issue might be is that seasoned photographers tend to be more consistent. The few people I've shot so far (paid) are aware that it might take me 300 shots to get what we're looking for, where it might take a more experienced photographer only 50 (for example).

With that said, there are countless "old pros" who are horrible photographers. It's just like any business where talent and instinct play a role in the final product. It can't *all* be taught. Thus, for some, even years and years of experience doesn't help.

However I narrowed it down to hunting photography and specifically said I am an amateur looking to gain experience.

We'll see how it goes - if free doesn't work I may change it to $50 per day and see if that generates some hits. :)

What exactly do you mean by hunting photography?

However I narrowed it down to hunting photography and specifically said I am an amateur looking to gain experience.

We'll see how it goes - if free doesn't work I may change it to $50 per day and see if that generates some hits. :)

He's going to hunt for photographers!
:lol:

He's going to hunt for photographers!
:lol:

I suppose he'll shoot them with his camera. :er:

Go along with hunters (pheasant, turkey, deer, duck, whatever) and capture their experience, and with any luck the action as well.

Most reactions

Back