I need to rant...

Who cares. Sure you don't like to see somebody pay for something when they can get better, but that's their problem. If they like it that's all that matters. Photography, is an art form. Argue with me about that if you want, but it really is. It's a completely subjective matter, there really is no wrong way to do it; as long as the person taking the photos enjoys it and likes the outcome that's really all that matters.

So if you make a little money, (or a lot) what's the big deal? Look at it as icing on the cake. Don't see other people's profits in a negative way, use it to motivate yourself to do better. I'm no pro by a long shot, but if somebody offered to pay me to take pictures of something. I'd do it in a heartbeat, because I'd probably do it for free if they asked me (ok well maybe if they picked up the bar tab one night or something).

There is nothing wrong with someone who takes pride in their work wanting to start a business in hopes that it will one day be successful. If they suck, they won't get work, if someone is willing to pay them and is pleased with the outcome, then what is the harm?

sorry to go off on a tangent real quick, but donatello, why do you seem to triple and quadruple post in many threads?
just curious.

Yeah, and copy everyone elses posts.....

went to 144 posts last I saw in one day... almost scary. Not real posts though, just 8 posts in the same thread when you can combine the 4 and make it one.

Photography, is an art form. Argue with me about that if you want, but it really is. It's a completely subjective matter, there really is no wrong way to do it; as long as the person taking the photos enjoys it and likes the outcome that's really all that matters.

This is where, at least to an extent I would disagree with you. While there may be no wrong way to do photography, out of focus may be what you're going for, you can still take what is generally accepted to be terrible photos.

Where the problem is, and where I would suggest that there is a wrong way to do it, is when the person with little to no experience shoots a wedding by him/herself completely screws it up (or in your terms does subjective art) that the bride and groom really dislikes, but guess what, they are screwed (unless they pursue it in court), because this was a one time event and they can't get those events back they can't recreate the emotions, nor the guest list, the sky etc. Once it's gone it's gone. This is where people who don't have the skill can screw it up, if they don't know how to properly work their camera's, and they don't know how to take a compositionally pleasing image, and they aren't prepared for the emotions nor how to be ready for the events of the day they can do this "art" wrong.

If you want to take photos just for yourself, then sure, go for it. If you're taking photos to sell in a gallery type setting then who am I to judge your shots (unless I want to purchase one). However, if you're doing it for someone else, that's when you are able to screw things up, and that's when there is a standard you should be held to prior to being able to open up shop.

Any rant starts and argument.

If you'd like to start several more, let me suggest some excellent topics for you...

- Nikon/Canon sucks
- The following people are not worthy of the title professional
- You have to have a xxxMP camera in order to take good pictures
- Anyone using cheap glass is an idiot
- Amiga rulz

This handy dandy guide brought to you in part by Downy Soap.

Dude, no "UV filter/no UV filter" argument?

Clearly:

UV Filter
Nikon
Ansel Adams
Clearly, that's why it's cheap.
Amiga does not rule, in fact.....

Any rant starts and argument.

If you'd like to start several more, let me suggest some excellent topics for you...

- Nikon/Canon sucks
- The following people are not worthy of the title professional
- You have to have a xxxMP camera in order to take good pictures
- Anyone using cheap glass is an idiot
- Amiga rulz

This handy dandy guide brought to you in part by Downy Soap.

darn i use at least 3 of those topics

pentax users :D
12 mp
cheap glass user.. love em. <------- Idiot

*takes a bow and mutters*

George Carlin said that somewhere, there's the worst doctor in the world. By process of elimination, he's out there and he's got patients. So, the world's worst professional photographer must be out there, too. And he's taking pictures for cash.

In my humble opinion, hacks make the pro's just look that much better.

Most reactions

Back