I need your opinion on equipment

LuckySe7en

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's time to add to my camera bag but I can't decide which one to get. Sorry for posting another one of these "what should I do" threads but I just wanted your opinion.
Here are my choices:

1. Canon 430ex
2. Battery grip and Gary Fong modifier

I currently have a promaster flash but there are no manual modes and it does not swivel. I was pushing for the 430 because I can take portrait shots and bounce off the ceiling. Right now I can't.

I also wanted the grip because I need the extra battery life and again taking portrait style pictures would be more comfortable. The problem is, I can only buy one. Since the flash will run me about $250, I can't buy the modifier. But I can afford to buy the grip and a modifier for my existing flash.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

if you want photographers to make fun of you.. get the Gary Fong.

buy a flash!

try to get at least a 430ex II. the ex doesn't sync with the rear curtain.

not sure if the 'ii' has the high pitch whine but i know the 580 ii doesn't.

buy one off of Craigs List.

When given the choice between any two options. Choose the one that doesn't include the Fong Dong.

buy a flash!

try to get at least a 430ex II. the ex doesn't sync with the rear curtain.

not sure if the 'ii' has the high pitch whine but i know the 580 ii doesn't.

buy one off of Craigs List.

Yes it'll be the II, I have a guy willing to sell me his for $230.

Well, a grip is not going to make your images come out any better than they currently do with your current abilities.

Assuming you have more than one battery?

The only thing a grip is going to do is extend the time you are shooting and not be bothered with swapping out for a fresh battery.

what don't I know about this Gary Fong, dude? lol

rooks we tall did..

I didn't think so, Based on pictures I've seen, it helps even out the light. Should I just get one of those cheap cap modifiers? Hell I'll save the money if I can that fong thing is $50

Basically they don't do much. How soft or even the light is, is a result of the apparent size of the light source. The apparent size is determined by the actual size, combined with the distance to the subject (closer lights appear larger). The Fong stuff is all tiny, barely bigger than the unmodified flash head. You'll get orders of magnitude more softness if you bounce your flash off a large surface.

(if there is no surface, I'd seriously be more comfortable bouncing off a reflector in my left hand than using a tiny plastic cap on my speedlight)

So Gary Fong is a rapist-Noted. Thanks for the heads up guys. Ok, this helps a lot. I thought it was an expensive piece of plastic. I think I'm leaning toward the flash. The only bad thing is that I'll need triggers because I dont think the T2i will fire the flash off camera. Am I correct?

Would you like to pay $80 for a Tupperware with a hole on the bottom?

Most reactions

Back