I only "work" part-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I started by shooting for free to practice. When I look back at my old stuff, it was pretty bad. Now it's much better, but there is always room for improvement.

Thanks for the critique and good suggestions thus far. I'm aware I'm almost brand new at this and am going to make mistakes, but as noted, the more jobs I do the better I'm going to get! I'm going to be on a better look-out for certain possible probs in my pics...But as far as we were all concerned, that was the best possible place to have taken their pics. Like I said, it WAS a little over-shaded and more light would have been better, but in MY mind it was the best place in their yard to take some pics at. I do have a SB600 WITH diffuser on its way to me, like I said before, for these harder pictures due to shade. I'm even going to have my flash by the time my mothers' wedding happens so it will definitely help then! I will learn all the "tricks" of this trade someday, BUT I have learned that no matter what you learn or what you know, you will never please everyone and somebody will always have negatives to say about your work...So I will take your advice I get here but I will not take it too hard that I stress over it. I understand a true photographer will be able to see things the average person won't, and I'm learning about what not to do thanks to you guys, so thank you for all I'm learning now! My future photos will be better but I feel I'm off to a decent start as I get told very often that people just love my photos.

I realize that you're new to this and you want to make some extra cash or whatever, but can I recommend that you not charge people for this type of work? I'm going to be honest here because I believe that the first step to recovery is admitting that you're an alcoholic.

You should find people that you can practice on - your wife, girlfriend, kids, neighbors... anyone that's willing to get some free pictures to be your model.

These pictures are horrible. I would be ashamed to show anyone this, let alone take someones money for them.

First, there MUST have been a better location. Their basement would have been a better location than the one you've chosen - distracting background, harsh lighting...

Photography isn't about just putting people in a location that you think "looks nice" and pressing a button. Photography is about lighting. Next time, think about lighting before anything else.

If you're going to have your work floating out there, don't you want it to look the best it can? That's why you SHOULD process them. Don't be lazy and have this junk floating around the internet because you don't like processing or didn't feel like doing it. If that's the case, don't take anyone else's money.

Seriously, I don't know how much you charge them, but they could have gotten a Sears portrait that looks better than what you've shown here.

You might be pissed about what I just wrote, but don't be. Take it and push yourself to get better.

you don't have to be an asshole to give criticism. Its obvious you don't like them and thats fine with me. I'll get better at my work but unfortunately you're still going to remain an asshole. Have a nice day!

Thanks for the critique and good suggestions thus far. I'm aware I'm almost brand new at this and am going to make mistakes, but as noted, the more jobs I do the better I'm going to get! I'm going to be on a better look-out for certain possible probs in my pics...But as far as we were all concerned, that was the best possible place to have taken their pics. Like I said, it WAS a little over-shaded and more light would have been better, but in MY mind it was the best place in their yard to take some pics at. I do have a SB600 WITH diffuser on its way to me, like I said before, for these harder pictures due to shade. I'm even going to have my flash by the time my mothers' wedding happens so it will definitely help then! I will learn all the "tricks" of this trade someday, BUT I have learned that no matter what you learn or what you know, you will never please everyone and somebody will always have negatives to say about your work...So I will take your advice I get here but I will not take it too hard that I stress over it. I understand a true photographer will be able to see things the average person won't, and I'm learning about what not to do thanks to you guys, so thank you for all I'm learning now! My future photos will be better but I feel I'm off to a decent start as I get told very often that people just love my photos.

I realize that you're new to this and you want to make some extra cash or whatever, but can I recommend that you not charge people for this type of work? I'm going to be honest here because I believe that the first step to recovery is admitting that you're an alcoholic.

You should find people that you can practice on - your wife, girlfriend, kids, neighbors... anyone that's willing to get some free pictures to be your model.

These pictures are horrible. I would be ashamed to show anyone this, let alone take someones money for them.

First, there MUST have been a better location. Their basement would have been a better location than the one you've chosen - distracting background, harsh lighting...

Photography isn't about just putting people in a location that you think "looks nice" and pressing a button. Photography is about lighting. Next time, think about lighting before anything else.

If you're going to have your work floating out there, don't you want it to look the best it can? That's why you SHOULD process them. Don't be lazy and have this junk floating around the internet because you don't like processing or didn't feel like doing it. If that's the case, don't take anyone else's money.

Seriously, I don't know how much you charge them, but they could have gotten a Sears portrait that looks better than what you've shown here.

You might be pissed about what I just wrote, but don't be. Take it and push yourself to get better.

you don't have to be an asshole to give criticism. Its obvious you don't like them and thats fine with me. I'll get better at my work but unfortunately you're still going to remain an asshole. Have a nice day!

If I came off as being an asshole because I was honest, then I apologize. I just think that people shouldn't delude themselves.

But, don't worry, you can go on doing what you're doing because your work is great, in your opinion.

Good luck with that.

Oh, and if people are willing to pay you for that, more power to you.

I have never felt the compelling need to ever do this but.....

This message is hidden because dukeboy1977 is on your ignore list.

I really do like this feature much more than the "Thanks" feature.

Cool it off people or this thread is going to be locked. Apologies were issued, I believe it to be a 'case closed' item. Continue to talk about the OP's subject but try to be not only honest but also nice to each other. After all, this is not WEC.

Oh c'mon, he wasn't being an asshole, he was being correct. Welcome to the creative world where 2+2=5 if you want it to.

atbawrps is right, the location stinks and the lighting is worse, I wouldn't charge for these either if i shot them, and I would offer to do a reshoot (everything for free mind you) in the shade, under at least a tree or something, not in the hard, harsh sun. Like what was demonstrated earlier in the picture that was edited, if you do any post to pump up the shadows, it's going to look like dog s***.

It's a learning experience, my first photos were rediculously awful, it took alot of work and energy to get where I am today, and i'm not saying i'm gods gift to photographesr, just that i'm better today then I was yesterday. Just look up my post history, look at my first threads and look at the pictures, they're junk!

Everyone goes through a similar progression. Remember, your first 10,000 pictures are your worst, and there's only one way to go, up.

I think I can understand the harsh response in this thread, and I have met people that react this way. It is not a personal attack on you, it is an attack on the many people we meet everyday as photographers that buy a DSLR and decide they are now a pro themselves.

While I will agree you pictures need some serious work before you should be charging for them. There are many issues such as lighting, composition and even post process.

Many of us have worked for several years to get better at our craft through practice and education and when someone jumps in without learning and tells them that they want to make a bit of money on the side or part time without any formal training it can be a bit of an insult to what we do.

Anyone can take a picture, all of the major camera manufactures will tell you so, but what they will not tell you is that it takes patience, experience and understanding to craft a portrait.

As others have suggested you need to practice some more and do a bit of reading. I would advise to buy or build a reflector and go out and play with it. Shoot your friends and family and try to work in a few different lighting situations, because the lighting you want to work in is rarely the lighting available to you when shooting on location and you need to be able to work with it.

Have fun and do not let a few bad responses stop you, learn from it even if you do not agree with it. We all started somewhere, you are not the first and you will not be the last to elicit this type of response.

Keep Shooting!

Everyone needs a dose of reality once in a while, even me.

I have to agree with the majority of the previous posts. I also believe that you asked for criticism, so you should try not to take offense. We don't do it to bash you, we do it because you asked for it. I prefer people to be harsh in my threads, because I want to improve. Having people tell me a bad picture looks great doesn't help me progress. Which seems to be the case in your situation. If they were happy with them, then good for you, but you got lucky. In the future, you will eventually run into someone who will want quality pictures for their $$, and when they see what you hand them they will demand a refund, or you may be hearing from their attorney.

I would re-think the wedding unless your mother does not want quality pictures. If you cannot do a portrait (a nice slow walk), how can you do a wedding (the ultimate marathon)? If you still shoot it, make sure you DO NOT EVER shoot anyone else's wedding, or you will be hearing from their attorney not long after the wife beats you and the husband pulls his foot from your ass.

I understand then desire for extra cash on the side, however most people have years of practice/education before they make such claims. They don't pick up a new camera and assume they can now shoot like a pro. Again, I can't emphasize enough how strongly I caution you with this because in the future you will come across someone who wants quality pictures, but will get quite the opposite.

Again, it's constructive criticism, we are not personally attacking you. Read any other thread, and people have the same reviews. Use it to better yourself (please).

As a last point, please bear in mind that you've posted your pictures in the professional gallery. Criticism here is likely to be harsher here than elsewhere, but better that where you'll gain an understanding of any flaws that need to be ironed out, than a dissatisfied customer bad mouthing your work to your potential future customers - chances are you'll never find out where you went wrong that way.

I think you've probably got as much feedback as is sensible on this now, so this thread is going under lock and key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back