480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After finishing scanning in almost 10,000 slides this year, I embarked on yet another folly today: Scanning & digitizing all the old family photos. Boxes & boxes..... mostly B&W from the '70s dating back to at least 1914!

ScanningOldFamilyPhotos.jpg~original

you really need a hobby. another hobby.
or a woman or two.
you obviously have waaaaay too much free time on your hands.

Bin dere, dun dat. Photography is much more rewarding.

And far cheaper, too.

Have you ever done old home movies? Like Super 8's?

My parents have a box full of those and I keep getting after my dad to digitize them so they're preserved. Not sure what the best way is, though. I did a quick test of just using my camera to "film the screen" as they play and it actually turned out surprisingly well after a bit of tweaking.

Have you ever done old home movies? Like Super 8's?........

Not myself. I had all the old home 8mm movies converted to VHS years ago, and earlier this year I had those transferred to DVD by a local duplicating service.

Once that was done, I was able to go back and put the snippets of the film back in chronological order with the computer.

Hey I got like 40 boxes at work you can scan for me.

I'm working in reverse from you. Scanned most of our family's old photos back in 2001, for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Most of them from about 1920 and up, but a few from earlier--childhood picture of my grandmother, and one from my grandfather, had to be about 1910 or so. It was a LOT of work--I spent the better part of two months doing almost nothing but scanning pictures every single night. But it was SO worth it--made CDs for the rest of the family (which made really nice, CHEAP Christmas presents that year!) and it's so easy now to look through all those old pictures over and over again.

NOW, I have about 300+ of my grandfather's old slides from 1940ish-1950 when he lived and worked in Panama and in the Azores--I've been putting it off, but I gotta get started soon. I really want the finished product, so I'm just gonna have to buckle down and start scanning.

The slides and photos have been around for a long time already. No need to rush and make yourself crazy. Sometimes I wonder if they will outlast the digital files we make from them.

Most reactions

Back