I should probably be here :)

My step father (who has largely introduced me to photography) provided me with a link to an article on aperture and shutter speed, which I have since lost. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Google is your friend here. For example, "Photographic Exposure" brought this up:
You can use hundreds of search terms and come up with more information, with pictures and graphics, than any of us can write out in book form for you here.
Good luck with the learning curve, and do keep us informed as to how you're getting on!

Oh wow wfooshee, thanks for taking the time.

Razky, I'll snoop around, ty.

Kind of an open ended question. the mechanics of photography are easy to learn. However, asking about how to be a good Photographer is like asking someone how to swim.

First you have to get in the water, before instructions start to make sense.

Most photographers will agree that the picture is in your head, not in the camera. That is why there is no perfect camera that fits everyone's needs. Start simple and see what evolves in your camera requirements.

Generally, don't expect honest critique from Facebook friends and family. They will usually love everything you do.

Back in the days of film there use to be a saying that the only difference between an amateur and a professional photographer is several hundred feet of film. Digital has made things so much easier and cheaper than the good old days. Take lots of pictures and look at lots of pictures. You'll see things in others work that you'll want to know how they did it. They'll be happy to tell you how they did whatever it is that you like. Once you get your basic kit together, shoot the heck out of what you have and don't fall down the rabbit hole of never ending GAS.

Honestly I don't take a lot of shots. If I go out for four hours and get one it's a good day. I'm not sure whether that qualifies as selective or restrictive.

Also, GAS?

Last edited:
The most important thing to learn is what Ansel Adams said: the most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it. So don't be duped by the manufacturers and gear collectors, master the craft and realize that will improve your photos many times an expensive piece of gear. . I can't recommend more highly Kelby on line training. A great image starts with knowing what you are trying to say, then using camera controls, lens selection, light and composition, maximize those things to support your message. On kelby pick courses to do the following. So you must first learn camer controls, exposure, what aperture and shutter speed does to an image, what various length lenses do to it. Then you need to study lighting, probably starting with existing light. Also study composition to learn what and where to put things in the frame. Finally, post photos here or even better, join a local club that has monthly meetings and has experts critiquing photos with the photographers anonymous. That will take you to the next level because you may study or read, but you don't know what you don't know or what you are doing wrong. You will see the common mistakes in many photos and learn to avoid them. And shoot alot, no pixels will die and it doesn't cost $3 per shot like my medium format film.

I'm working with a Fuji XT100 and I can't imagine needing more than that. I'll keep posting in the forums. Couldn't be happier having found this place - everyone's been great and it's a fantastic resource.

Thanks for the insights folks. Right now I'm trusting the automatic functions of my camera to not screw me over.

That will depend on WHAT you shoot.

I don't mean this in a "smart a$$" way. But I have run into this more times than I care to remember.
In some cases I have had to fall back to purely manual mode.
In fact I made a lesson for my students on situations where the camera's meter will fail.
The more you shoot, the more you will find these situations.

This is one of the big benefits of mirrorless cameras.
On mine, I can see BEFORE I press the shutter what the exposure will look like. And I have an opportunity to fix it before pressing the shutter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights folks. Right now I'm trusting the automatic functions of my camera to not screw me over.
That's fine to start with, but eventually you will want results different than what the camera gives you.

While probably an impossible question, my answer is something that applies to any photography.

Learn the relationship between Time and Light and Sensitivity.

Time and Light, that's all? Not like film where it was pretty much limited to what you had loaded. But that's an important choice as well.

Sure, because aperture can completely change the resulting image and then in order to get the exposure right = time/speed. But the world isn't stagnant and frozen in time, so you must stay within the physical limits in order to use what light you can gather in the proper time. Sometimes there isn't enough light, or there's too much.

I tend to shoot at the lowest ISO possible, under any situation. Pretty simple for film and then old digital, because after 200 ISO I can start to see degradation. Not so true now. Lucky us?

Your lens will dictate some of the time and light. Long lens you're getting into less light and more potential motion. That forces slower shutter speeds, but you need faster speeds. Now you need more light, wider opening, which means less depth. How much depth do you want in the composition?

So you see at this point... Ah Ha, it's a trap! :loyal:

Light, Time and Sensitivity. A nice little triangle of physics that one variable dictates how the others are changed to adjust for that. But there's no single "Perfect Exposure" because you have nearly endless variations and choices, that will produce a perfect exposure. Yet how you change or adjust, will change the depth, the perspective, and what you capture.

So there's my answer: learn the exposure triangle and learn how each variable alters the results, because changing one, will force you to change change the other two, but always at least one. 33.33 + 33.33 + 33.33 is always 100 and 100 is the perfectly balanced exposure. Each variable is also a creative tool.

Of course someone else will say, shoot RAW and fix it later. I'm not going to buy that one. Get it right, in camera, and understand why and how.

I think that's my version of @wfooshee saying the same things. I was answering before I read all the replies.

Answer also, first link that I found that looked good. The Exposure Triangle - A Beginner's Guide

triangle-960x469.jpg

Just this and using only the limited listed choices there are 392 correct exposures to choose from. Any will make a nice photo. Many will make a nicer photo. One is the only one that the photographer chooses to express what they see and they want the image to be.

Yes I paid thousands of dollars for an expensive camera, that has a tiny computer in it, and processors and software... then I shoot Manual some of the time.

So glad i read this thread first, happily admitting to being a beginner!

Most reactions

Back