I "think" I need something with a monopod attached to a vest. any ideas?

Mashburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
15555897_963471233785121_804410170_n.png

So I am a photographer for a cheer/dance competition. I am there for 2 days and each day last 10-12 hours. I have to use a 70-200. and you need to use the gamer chair, so when the girls do jumps really high into the air, so you can lean back and capture it. And I also have to get 90-120 pictures in 3 minutes of each act, and they have to be Vertical and Horizontal pictures. also they have to be shot 100% because they do not get edited and are sent right to the camera.

So here is my problem. Sitting there hunched like this all day KILLS my back. a ball joiont at the top of the monopod would help get the flying jumps, but I would still be leaned into my camera. I "feel" a vest like a stedicam would allow me to sit in the chair un hunched.

s-l1600.jpg

what is your thoughts?

15555897_963471233785121_804410170_n.png

So I am a photographer for a cheer/dance competition. I am there for 2 days and each day last 10-12 hours. I have to use a 70-200. and you need to use the gamer chair, so when the girls do jumps really high into the air, so you can lean back and capture it. And I also have to get 90-120 pictures in 3 minutes of each act, and they have to be Vertical and Horizontal pictures. also they have to be shot 100% because they do not get edited and are sent right to the camera.

So here is my problem. Sitting there hunched like this all day KILLS my back. a ball joiont at the top of the monopod would help get the flying jumps, but I would still be leaned into my camera. I "feel" a vest like a stedicam would allow me to sit in the chair un hunched.

s-l1600.jpg

what is your thoughts?
Well just looking at it doesn't look like that vest rig would be terribly comfortable to sit down in for any length of time.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

How do you aim and focus a chest mounted camera quickly & accurately ?

You may want to try that tripod idea but I found stuff like that doesn't work. You have to go to a Gimbal but then the viewfinder/screen gets tilted down and you have to lift the monopod anyways. At least that's what I've found out through quick trial and error.

Can you move further away, longer lens therefore less head movement with less extreme angles?

I think what you want us the old "chest pod" idea. Not that common these days, but look to B&H Photo or Amazon/eBay for one. What you need has been needed before for similar users/ needs.

I just use my fat belly, pretty good tripod in the sitting position.... so get fat like me and your all set....

I was in KC, MO a couple of weeks ago shooting 10 teams for my daughters gym and I was just wishing for the gamers chair to sit in. All I had was the floor. The guy shooting like you was just sitting in a regular chair to the opposite corner of the mats than I was.

I think what you want us the old "chest pod" idea. Not that common these days, but look to B&H Photo or Amazon/eBay for one. What you need has been needed before for similar users/ needs.
img-img_167319.jpg

prd418002f0-d716-42ce-b185-977d83e68dcb.jpg

you thinking more of this strap around the neck or something into the shoulder?

You may want to try that tripod idea but I found stuff like that doesn't work. You have to go to a Gimbal but then the viewfinder/screen gets tilted down and you have to lift the monopod anyways. At least that's what I've found out through quick trial and error.

Can you move further away, longer lens therefore less head movement with less extreme angles?
I have never used a chest pod before.

a gimbal would not work. I need to flip horizontal/vertical really fast. and moving further away would not help.

Well just looking at it doesn't look like that vest rig would be terribly comfortable to sit down in for any length of time.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Yeah that is kind of my thought.

I was thinking I could do that for a couple hours and the switch back. that way I am not killing one area of the back.

a gimbal would not work. I need to flip horizontal/vertical really fast. and moving further away would not help.
doesn't you lens collar rotate?
when I use a monopod I can rotate between landscape/horizontal really fast.
If you can't then a monopod is going to be flipping to the side a lot.

Yes, that is the old chest pod idea thst I was thinking of, andbthe dedign seems almost exactly as they have been for 50 years or so. Maybe one of these devices would help you? Hard to know for certain without testing one, and without knowing what type of camera it lens would be used to mount to it.

doesn't you lens collar rotate?
when I use a monopod I can rotate between landscape/horizontal really fast.
If you can't then a monopod is going to be flipping to the side a lot.

yes I my collar rotates. that is all I use is a monopod, except for a couple where I go free handed just to give my back a rest. But that is why I am looking for another option. it is to much leaning in.

Yes, that is the old chest pod idea thst I was thinking of, andbthe dedign seems almost exactly as they have been for 50 years or so. Maybe one of these devices would help you? Hard to know for certain without testing one, and without knowing what type of camera it lens would be used to mount to it.
The shoulder one might be to hard, but who knows. I will try the neck one out first. So in a few weeks I will update the thread.

Thanks for this idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back