I think I screwed up big time...

bmrust

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rust-media.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got back from a photo shoot with a good friend of mine. I imported all of my files into Aperture. I shot in RAW + JPG. After importing the files into Aperture I told it to erase all of the files from the memory card. Yadda yadda yadda.... I don't think I have the RAWs.

When I drag the shots out of Aperture into Photoshop, they come in as JPG's. Are the RAW's gone???

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE tell me!

Meep. Where does Aperture save the files? Check the folder for your RAWs.

As long as you didn't full format the card, and haven't written to it, it's possible to recover the data. Start by checking the card manufacturer's website. (Unfortunately, I haven't found any good freeware solutions for file recovery on OS X. I know some have been developed on Windows.)

Aperture puts the files into its own "Aperture Library"... one really large file that when double clicked it opens Aperture.

I'll see what I can find for recovery software...and until then I won't take anymore photos on that disk

WOAH, i think i just found it....

I right clicked on the Aperture Library and noticed an option "Show Package Contents"

After looking through there I found my CR2's...

Talk about a scare...jeez... hopefully I never do that again!

No kidding. I delete nothing from the original card until the originals are on my computer AND my backup drive because of a similar incident a while back. 600+ images that I thought were gone forever.

Normally I don't delete images from the card till I am heading out for another round of shooting - unless I totally fill all my cards up and then I will empty one so that I have free space for oppertunistic shots.
It gives you a backup for a period of time incase anything does go wrong.

Heck I never delete shots incamera either - delete all (on my canon at least) is very close to delete one shot - better to play safe and not play in that area at all - cause one cold day when fingers are shaking a bit - bang wrong butten gets pressed*

you just have to change your export settings. Export the 'master' and it will be NEF (RAW).

Never delete until you have written the originals to your backup, whatever that may be. Thank goodness you found them. Leason learned. :mrgreen:

Just got back from a photo shoot with a good friend of mine. I imported all of my files into Aperture. I shot in RAW + JPG. After importing the files into Aperture I told it to erase all of the files from the memory card. Yadda yadda yadda.... I don't think I have the RAWs.

When I drag the shots out of Aperture into Photoshop, they come in as JPG's. Are the RAW's gone???

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE tell me!

This is why I do not allow a program to perform these functions for me. I manually open windows explorer, create my own folders, manually copy the files where I want them to go, and then clear the card only when I am sure that everything is backed up.

Most reactions

Back