What's new

I think this goes here

jlo24141

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 15, 2012
Messages
83
Reaction score
4
Location
Georgia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's not really a landscape or a 'pictures of people' type deal.

I'm posting because I am pretty happy with the shot; I like the colors and the action of his movement through the picked cotton plants. All in all, I say the camera did very well picking up the true colors of the day--it's neither over or undersaturated.

My question is- are there any tips that could have made this picture better? I'm somewhat iffy on the tree in the foreground, and I feel like maybe the man running could have been farther to the left side of the frame. But like I said, that's a maybe.
 
Personally I would crop it quite a bit. There is so much field that the man is not prominently visible. I would leave the tree and put the man on the left 1/3 line. The tree will help balance the composition. There is also a good bit of yellow tint in the exposure.
 
Personally I would crop it quite a bit. There is so much field that the man is not prominently visible. I would leave the tree and put the man on the left 1/3 line. The tree will help balance the composition. There is also a good bit of yellow tint in the exposure.

I placed the gent on the left of the 1/3, and drew up the foreground so that the lower 1/3 line is touching the edge of the field. I cooled it off to take out some of the yellow.

This leaves me with another question- the picture is now much more square, of course. I'm not a huge fan of square pictures, but if I pull down the top very much, i lose a lot of the tree, which I also agree is good for balance. So, are square pictures socially acceptable?
 
Personally I would crop it quite a bit. There is so much field that the man is not prominently visible. I would leave the tree and put the man on the left 1/3 line. The tree will help balance the composition. There is also a good bit of yellow tint in the exposure.

I placed the gent on the left of the 1/3, and drew up the foreground so that the lower 1/3 line is touching the edge of the field. I cooled it off to take out some of the yellow.

This leaves me with another question- the picture is now much more square, of course. I'm not a huge fan of square pictures, but if I pull down the top very much, i lose a lot of the tree, which I also agree is good for balance. So, are square pictures socially acceptable?

Yes, but they lends themselves to completely different compositional techniques. Rule of thirds, for example, doesn't really work in square shots.
 
Square photos are acceptable by most, however not being a standard size makes them difficult to print should you want to. I personally prefer rectangular aspect ratios, but that's just my personal preference.

I'll show you my take if you don't object. Your profile states that your photos are not OK to edit, so I won't do it without your permission.
 
Thank you both for the input, and yes please show me your take.

I am looking at the rules of diagonals, i think if i decided to square this up some, i might get away with a cheap diagonal from the man and the tree
 
Thank you both for the input, and yes please show me your take.

I am looking at the rules of diagonals, i think if i decided to square this up some, i might get away with a cheap diagonal from the man and the tree

This is how I would crop it, I think:

IMG_2116-1.jpg


Your crop does show the immensity of the cotton field, but I think that the person gets lost in the background. This may be cropped a bit much and somewhere in the middle might work better.
 
Little late for this now, but this is the type of shot I really like with a wide angle. You get the person big, but still get the sense of immensity with the field as well.
 
Great input, many thanks to you two! I can dig that crop; I don't miss the pine needles as much as I thought I would. But sadly, my wide angle doesn't fit on my new kit lens :/
 
Great input, many thanks to you two! I can dig that crop; I don't miss the pine needles as much as I thought I would. But sadly, my wide angle doesn't fit on my new kit lens :/

wait, what? Are you talking about a wide angle adapter? I mean a wide angle lens. like on a crop frame anything from about 10mm to about 24mm. Usually the very widest parts of a kit lens are on the upper range of wide angle.
 
wait, what? Are you talking about a wide angle adapter? I mean a wide angle lens. like on a crop frame anything from about 10mm to about 24mm. Usually the very widest parts of a kit lens are on the upper range of wide angle.

haha, that's why I'm a n00b. I was talking about my fisheye. Please disregard!
 
I too found the person lost ...actually i found him on my second scan only. The image is good and scraig has brought out its best :D
 
Thank you all!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom