I thought about switching to Canon...

Does everyone here shoot everyday or only when they feel like it or have jobs?

I wish I could travel, it's a big goal of mine. But its just not possible right now.
I try to shoot everyday, but sometime life or weather gets in the way. But I'm a chef so I have my mornings free..

I wouldn't get rid of the Nikon gear you have but if you want to try Canon why would you have to get rid if it anyways, just add a Canon to your lineup.
I have a few Nikons, a couple Canons, a Sony, a Samsung, a couple Fujis, and a few other assorted bodies and lots of lenses for all.
I have never seen the sense in getting rid of gear to buy new gear. It's like books, just add more to the collection and buy bigger shelves.

Does everyone here shoot everyday or only when they feel like it or have jobs?

I wish I could travel, it's a big goal of mine. But its just not possible right now.

I'm definitely in the "when I have time" category, and really, what that means for me, is when I make time. I have a week plus off for the holiday, but before that I was working my full-time job, plus a evening teaching gig, plus grading and planning, plus being a dad.

When I was looking through LR to make my end-of-year photo book, I took almost no photos in October and November, but some of my favorites for the year are from those two months. I think it's probably because they were more purposeful...I had been envisioning a couple of ideas for weeks before I made the time to try to execute. Of my favorite shots from 2016, only 2 were further than 50 miles from my house.

You also live someplace that people travel specifically to go take photos. I know when I was up there in the spring I wish I had more time for photography and less time for drinking beer, haha. I'll probably bring my camera when I make my beer run next week to The Alchemist and to Hill Farmstead, and take the time to take the photos I see.

I wouldn't get rid of the Nikon gear you have but if you want to try Canon why would you have to get rid if it anyways, just add a Canon to your lineup.
I have a few Nikons, a couple Canons, a Sony, a Samsung, a couple Fujis, and a few other assorted bodies and lots of lenses for all.
I have never seen the sense in getting rid of gear to buy new gear. It's like books, just add more to the collection and buy bigger shelves.

Because I'm not rich lol.

Neither am I
Otherwise I would have kept my D600 & p7800 (helped pay for d750), D7000 (helped pay for d600) etc cameras. And I'd buy a D5 and a 1dx and ....

Well basically the hobby can't expand/ move forward if I don't sell my old gear. It was hard selling the d600 because I really understood how to use that camera but a few features of the d750 had me sold.

Neither am I
Otherwise I would have kept my D600 & p7800 (helped pay for d750), D7000 (helped pay for d600) etc cameras. And I'd buy a D5 and a 1dx and ....

Well basically the hobby can't expand/ move forward if I don't sell my old gear. It was hard selling the d600 because I really understood how to use that camera but a few features of the d750 had me sold.

I'm curious how the D750 replacement will be.

I shoot something everyday. Of late it has been more iPhone than 'real' camera. Nearly every morning I walk The Cook, (a Wheaten Terrier and best friend), and I shoot something. As the routes are somewhat repetitive, I look for subtle differences and and nuances of lighting. It's not about fun for me as much as it is the challenge of finding and capturing the exceptional image. I've also been in a slump, it isn't the shooting as much as it is the processing. I processed and printed some photos for Christmas and man ... it has been so long that it took me hours and hours to get it all right. I've realized that I need to stay on top of things to keep my skill levels up.

What lenses does Canon have that you are interested in using?

I wish I could shoot every day but I only shoot when I have time. I agree with JonA_CT, you have to make the time. If I have a subject that I want to shoot or the vision of a scene I plan to capture, I'm much more likely to find the time to shoot it than I am to take a random photo walk or go on an outing with taking photos as my goal. I don't carry my camera with me everywhere so it really does have to be at least a bit premeditated for me.

Don't upgrade your bike, bike up grades.

Most reactions

Back