The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When life is tough I look back at photos to remind me of places and people.

A few years ago, I was in Northern Laos and spent three days traveling around.
There really aren't 'sights' there, just heart stopping rural beauty.

p534032723-5.jpg

We were up near the town of Muang Sing (top of Laos) which is in the center of the Golden Triangle, going around on rented motorbikes, little Hondas.
To give you some idea how 'far away' that is.
22 hours to Bangkok by plane, stopping in Kyoto.
overnight train to Nong Khai, on the Thai side of the Mekong, then a short bus ride over the Mekong to Vientiane
We traveled by bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang 11 hours - about $10
Then, a couple of days later, another bus from Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha - as I remember about 9 hours, not counting the breakdown in the mountains for about an hour.
Then Muang Sing was only about 2 hours by bus.

eqsam.jpg

My companions were a young Chinese woman and a 6'8" Welchman, quite a sight in rural Laos. Two of us rented motorbikes to go around outside the town; the Welchman was a jock and rented a bicycle.
Not many roads there and virtually all are dirt and usually end up as paths on paddy dikes, navigable by the Lao without ending in the water - not by me.
We got lost several times, were pulled in to have a drink in a Lao wedding (rice whiskey at noon in the sun is powerful) and then eventually stopped for lunch.
These pictures were taken at a tiny (one table) roadside restaurant.
The 'restaurant' was actually just the front of a house and from the looks we got from the locals hadn't seen many non-Lao or non-Chinese.
The road was well paved because there was a Chinese factory nearby and the factory paved the road between where we were and the Chinese border - (about 8 miles)
When we stopped our motor bikes in front of the house, the older girl, who was the waitress was stunned into immobility and the younger girl, who was drying thatch on the road was tickled.

Eventually she handed us a menu, written in Lao and we picked food at random.
Evidently her mother was cooking because we saw no one else.
Food was OK, she wrote the cost on a small piece of paper and never made a sound the entire time we were there.

p221592556-5.jpg

p93153053-5.jpg

p242802066-5.jpg

Last edited:
What a nice illustrated story. I love it...and the little girl who has the wheel of the bike on her head reminds me of my first grandchild (I only have one for now).

Well done, you have a gift of being right on. Thank you Ed

This^^ No doubt about it. Love them thanks for sharing.

This is a serious question and I hope for serious and honest answers.

Like most other people who have been shooting pictures for a while, for me using a camera has become pretty effortless.
I believe I that can get the image I want in most situations and can make the most of the exposure using PPing to get them to their best final stage.
And, deep inside, (actually not deep at all) I think I am a fine documentary and street photographer and can catch the spirit of the moment and the person fairly well.

But, I have noticed that if I show a picture with some words to set the scene, invariably the responses are much greater than if I showed the picture alone.

Am I preempting criticism by personalizing the images or does the 'narration' just make the sense of place stronger?

I like your "narrating", especially of these older pics in foreign lands.

It does indeed help me to "see" what it is that you are attempting to relay.

One can be a purist and insist that the images carry the full weight of explaining, but the reality is that they are a window onto a reality that those not present may not appreciate. The words provide a context in which we can understand what has happened, and what is going on. In looking at any image, we WILL interpret what we see, but without context, we will probably guess wrong. So Lew, it's not that you're "helping" your images - you're giving us enough background and context to allow us to make sense of what we are seeing. Personally, I do not know that culture, and I have no idea what is considered "normal" or extraordinary in that context. Your narrative helps fill in the blanks that I have.

Can I have more therapy please...:D

Exactly what Ron said. Also I enjoy your shots of the children more times then adults and especially like the expression on #2. Just seeing a smiling child is wonderful in my book. I wish the bike was not behind her but its a moment of capture it or lose it. 3 & 4 are tops to

One can be a purist and insist that the images carry the full weight of explaining, but the reality is that they are a window onto a reality that those not present may not appreciate. The words provide a context in which we can understand what has happened, and what is going on. In looking at any image, we WILL interpret what we see, but without context, we will probably guess wrong. So Lew, it's not that you're "helping" your images - you're giving us enough background and context to allow us to make sense of what we are seeing. Personally, I do not know that culture, and I have no idea what is considered "normal" or extraordinary in that context. Your narrative helps fill in the blanks that I have.

Can I have more therapy please...:D

^^^what I was saying only WAY better. If I were to look at those pictures, I wouldn't know if it were Laos, Guam, China, Japan or Southern tip of Florida. (okay that first picture wouldn't have been Florida), but the kids are cute and have a story. The truth is FAR better than my mind and helps me connect with the photos.

Keep 'em coming Lew.

I don't know... I would enjoy your writing even without pictures... and I would enjoy your photographs even without the words...

pictures+words will also do

Most reactions

Back