I walked through the woods with my camera...

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm a complete, and total photography n00b. So, some may say "be easy on me, I'm new." But, I want you all to be extra critical of me because I'm new. I love any bit of critique I can get. I love seeing improvement in myself, and I feel that critique is the best way for me to get on the road of improvement. So, hope you enjoy, but also hope that you can see problems in my photos. Thanks.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/trenton_romulox/album/576460762393736014/photo/294928804279948983/3

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/trenton_romulox/album/576460762393736014/photo/294928804279948997/4

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/trenton_romulox/photo/294928804279965646/0

By the way, sorry I can show the pictures here directly. What's a good site where I can have a large collection of photos for free (because Yahoo has no limit on how many I can have, I just can't hot link or whatever it's called.)

Hey! I was once just like you (not that I'm now an expert), just checking things out and experimenting with what looks good. That's totally the way to go, before you know it, you'll see how wrong you were about something, or that doing more shots a certain way is a lot better.

I'll start out with good: You're right on with number three, although there's room for improvement (there always is), the lighting is good, the angle is great, and the subject is appealing. Your strong point is that your subject is laid out very well: low trees, sunset, high trees, sky and clouds. The main place you can improve is making this a landscape (horizontal) instead of a portrait (vertical). This is because the highlight of the photo is (correct me if I'm not assuming correctly) the sunset, which is going across the scene. The more of the sunset the better, but not taking over the photo. Like I said, although there's room for improvement, you chose a great subject and a great angle for a portrait shot.

As for 1 and 2, 1 is a good idea, but the trees are so dense through the middle that it feels like they're cutting the photo in half. With 2, I would recommend taking the photo closer to the stump and making it the only subject, because it's so complex.

I have some similar photos on my blog if you'd like to check them out. It's www.johnwphotography.blogspot.com

What kind of camera do you have?

I'd love to help, so message me anytime, the more specific questions the better.

Good luck on the journey!

Hey! I was once just like you (not that I'm now an expert), just checking things out and experimenting with what looks good. That's totally the way to go, before you know it, you'll see how wrong you were about something, or that doing more shots a certain way is a lot better.

I'll start out with good: You're right on with number three, although there's room for improvement (there always is), the lighting is good, the angle is great, and the subject is appealing. Your strong point is that your subject is laid out very well: low trees, sunset, high trees, sky and clouds. The main place you can improve is making this a landscape (horizontal) instead of a portrait (vertical). This is because the highlight of the photo is (correct me if I'm not assuming correctly) the sunset, which is going across the scene. The more of the sunset the better, but not taking over the photo. Like I said, although there's room for improvement, you chose a great subject and a great angle for a portrait shot.

As for 1 and 2, 1 is a good idea, but the trees are so dense through the middle that it feels like they're cutting the photo in half. With 2, I would recommend taking the photo closer to the stump and making it the only subject, because it's so complex.

I have some similar photos on my blog if you'd like to check them out. It's www.johnwphotography.blogspot.com

What kind of camera do you have?

I'd love to help, so message me anytime, the more specific questions the better.

Good luck on the journey!

Wow man, thanks for all the great critique! I'll definitely look at your work and keep in contact with you. I have quite a few shots on my yahoo page if you want to look through them. The albums are all listed on the left of all three of those shots above. Thanks again, your critique means a lot to me.

Unfortunately, Johnw7127 hit on everything I would have suggested (though not in nearly as much detail as he did), but I can tell you a good photo hosting site. Check out http://www.flickr.com. That's where I host my photos. There's a 100MB per month limit, though, so if you feel like you might upload more than that, I wouldn't recommend it. It's definitely got better bandwidth than Photobucket.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back