I want a UV filter. Which brand?

what do you guys think of heliopan?

Some lenses or at least one L lens (17-40) needs a filter to complete the weather/dustproofing. I am walking on eggshells with my 17-40 right now till my low profile HOYA pro UV gets here. But like derrel says i probably will not use one on my 70-200 2.8 when i buy it. The hood does a good job at keeping the nasties away. Something stinks about putting a %50 protection filter over a $2000 peice of glass

I use Hoya HMC filters exclusively. They are fantastic filters.

what do you guys think of heliopan?

I have a mix of heliopan and B+W. They use very high quality materials (Schott glass) and brass rings. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between the high end Heliopan versus high end B+W. Popular with the Leica crowd and pretty expensive. They are considered an alternative to the Leica branded filters in part because they are easier to find in the odd filter sizes commonly found with Leica lenses.

I say stick with B+W or Hoya (save a little $)... but always buy the higher end multi-coated versions.

To the OP. The question of brand is no where near as important as the question of quality.
B+W have a $40 filter, and they have a $300 filter.
Hoya have a $20 filter, and a $100 filter.

The important part is always the coatings.

I suggest the use of a Hoya SHMC at the very least. Hoya Pro1 is better, and the Hoya Pro1 Digital is worse (what's the point of thinner glass, it won't protect as well).
Kenko and Hoya are pretty much the same products.
B+W MRC filters and F-PRO filters are also a good choice.

Don't ever get non-multicoated filter. You'll hate yourself if you do.

Nobody here is advocating the use of a UV filter to protect your lens from a 4' drop onto concrete.

In any case it wouldn't make a difference. Filters will protect from protruding objects from smacking your front element. Not sure about the concrete elsewhere but ours is flat :lmao:

I vote for Hoya.

1200 lens deserves an 85 dollar filter .... right?

The $85 filter will fare just as well as the $10 one when you drop your lens on the sidewalk.

What the **** is that even supposed to mean?

Nobody here is advocating the use of a UV filter to protect your lens from a 4' drop onto concrete.

Easy, slugger. There are lots of stories about UV filters doing just that--protecting the lens from harm when dropped. UV filters are useless except for protecting the lens. Buy the cheapest one possible and remove it when you shoot (once the strap is around your neck).

Nikon 18-200mm Drop Test

Buy the cheapest one possible and remove it when you shoot (once the strap is around your neck).

I was with you up until that point. The device you are after is called a lenscap.

Buy the best you can comfortably afford and makes sense to put on your camera, and remove it in the cases where it will have a visible impact on your image (such as when shooting at light sources light streetlamps at night).

Buy the cheapest one possible and remove it when you shoot (once the strap is around your neck).

I was with you up until that point. The device you are after is called a lenscap.

But lens caps are pains in the ass to take on and off if you're scoping out a shot and want to bring the camera to your eye and back down a lot. They need to make a transparent lens cap...

This is all just silly. It's personal preference. Boxers or briefs? :lmao:

Most reactions

Back