I want an APP on the App Store

EPhotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a photographer in California and have my own business. Mainly we specialize in Sports and Senior Portraits and I would like my own Company App on the app store, for availability for local clientele. I have no idea where to start. What's the first step?
Do I find a app developer?
If so what's the best app developing company?
Any suggestions?
I would be willing to pay for Quality, I want it to come across very professional looking.

If you pay someone to do it for you... that is pretty much the only step lol.

If you do it yourself, the first thing you need to do is sign up for Apple's developer portal for $99. Then you download Xcode and the other developer tools for whichever device you want to develop for. These are free to members of the developer portal. There's a UI toolbox with all the main UI controls and another tool for creating other graphics, etc... The final step is learning Xcode which is basically an object oriented version of C. There are lots of tutorials online. After you develop your app, just submit it to the app store through the portal and it will be reviewed to determine whether or not it is 'safe' to be published for apple devices.

I'm a photographer in California and have my own business. Mainly we specialize in Sports and Senior Portraits and I would like my own Company App on the app store, for availability for local clientele.

Uh, what is this "app" supposed to do? A lot of local business say "download our app". Why would I want to waste time and real estate on my phone by downloading a car dealership's app, or a furniture store, or whatever. They are next to useless. If I want to know when someone is open, I'll check the website. It just isn't something I'll need for more than 2 minutes once a year.

( mjhoward) thank you, Much help, in fact I paid the $99 just after I posted, and what you described is spot on. Thank you.

( mjhoward) thank you, Much help, in fact I paid the $99 just after I posted, and what you described is spot on. Thank you.
Don't just focus on iOS. Android holds the market share know when it comes to smartphones. Think about coding your app in HTML 5. Then you can pay a developer once and the app will run natively on Android, iOS, BlackBerry and even Windows Phone.

Another thing to think about is the Android Market doesn't have an approval process, so your app gets out there quicker. Apple takes an average of 10 days to approve my apps, but sometimes they are rejected for various reasons and need to be resubmitted. And @orljustin gives good advice: don't just give me a mobile version of your site. Make your app do something that I can't do on the web.

So your first move is to gather all your requirements and ideas and write them down. Even create some mock ups of what you want the app to look like. This will help the developer because he/she will have many questions for you when you first meet. And if they don't, find another developer.

Orljustin) well I figured the way our company operates by doing action sports photography & having those customers sign up at the games, (if they want their athlete shot during the game). They view their athletes photos online, and when they call in to purchase we have them proof their completed stuff before we print. Therefore since we are pretty well known in our local city and get a lot customers who sign up every time we cover their school or team or their other kid even. I figured even if they downloaded our app and deleted it after their viewing, checkout, & proofing stage was expired. I thought It would be very convenient to have for our business.

Nick A)
That's very helpful info, and good to know. I will do just that. Thank you

Most reactions

Back