I want to add to my collection.

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3100, an 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm 1.8 lens. I want to be able to shoot pics of people/children indoors or outdoors. Any favorite lenses/equipment and why? I'm almost positive that I want to purchase a speedlight. Also, I'm looking to spend no more than a 1,000. I tend to like to move around when I'm shooting so anything that is not very portable is not optimal.

Speedlight and remotes to get the light off the camera
bigthumb.gif

2WheelPhoto said:
Speedlight and remotes to get the light off the camera

What he said. Some light stands and shoot through umbrellas, reflectors (you can make a homemade one)

Im not too sure about Nikon stuff... But I use my 70-200 F4 lens alot on outdoor portraits. You might want to look into that (for nikon obviously). A canon 70-200 F4 L non IS lens runs around 500-600$ used.. So I would guess Nikon has a similar lens. With your 1000$ you could pick one up, as well as a speedlite (probably around 300$), wireless triggers (80ish), and a lightstand w/ umbrella.

willis_927 said:
Im not too sure about Nikon stuff... But I use my 70-200 F4 lens alot on outdoor portraits. You might want to look into that (for nikon obviously). A canon 70-200 F4 L non IS lens runs around 500-600$ used.. So I would guess Nikon has a similar lens. With your 1000$ you could pick one up, as well as a speedlite (probably around 300$), wireless triggers (80ish), and a lightstand w/ umbrella.

I don't believe Nikon has a 70-200 f/4 or if they do it's probably wouldn't autofocus on her camera. The 70-200 f/2.8 for Nikon is well over 1,000.00. Wish there was that option for that price though!

There is..i just posted it. Unless it doesn't work on a 3100.

dots said:
There is..i just posted it. Unless it doesn't work on a 3100.

Has to be af-s otherwise it won't autofocus so the one you posted wouldn't be ideal.

willis_927 said:

I don't believe Nikon has a 70-200 f/4 or if they do it's probably wouldn't autofocus on her camera. The 70-200 f/2.8 for Nikon is well over 1,000.00. Wish there was that option for that price though!

70-300 f4 AFS- might be a good bet.. it is fairly well thought of for the price. The 28-300 3.5 does a nice job, and you can find them used. Flash would be highly recommended.

Congratulations on your first post that is not in all capital letters :sexywink:

Get a telephoto or a zoom lens of some sort - Nikon 24-70 is good. Speedlite is good. Maybe get some bounces / domes. What tripod do you have? It's worth it to build up a nice tripod - separate legs and head. I like Giottos.

I have a Nikon D3100, an 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm 1.8 lens. I want to be able to shoot pics of people/children indoors or outdoors. Any favorite lenses/equipment and why? I'm almost positive that I want to purchase a speedlight. Also, I'm looking to spend no more than a 1,000. I tend to like to move around when I'm shooting so anything that is not very portable is not optimal.
If you want your 'pics' to look better than average you need the knowledge and skill necessary for using lighting effectively, like off-camera-flash (OCF).

Many photographers are taking a light-weight, minimalist, 'Strobist' approach to both indoor, and location photography. A couple of great online resource are the Lighting 101 archives at Strobist and http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

I also highly recommend the imexpensive books; Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

Equipment I have recommend to the those I have mentored over the last few years includes:
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

Vivitar DF383 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Power Zoom /Swivel /Bounce Auto-Focus Flash for Nikon TTL, Guide Number 45m (147')

Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

It's to bad you elected to get a 'baby' Nikon. There are some really nice mid-range priced lenses available that won't AF on your D3100.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd look at the Nissin di866 flash best bang for the buck in my opinion, if your camera does or will in the future have wireless ability it works great. I'd go with either 18-50 Sigma f2.8 or Tamron 18-270 walking lens. If you are happy with your kit lens the 18-270 I think you will be happy with, if you want to be able to shoot in more low light situations I would get something with wider aperture. Those lenses and that flash should put you right under 1k.

If you want your 'pics' to look better than average you need the knowledge and skill necessary for using lighting effectively, like off-camera-flash (OCF).

Many photographers are taking a light-weight, minimalist, 'Strobist' approach to both indoor, and location photography. A couple of great online resource are the Lighting 101 archives at Strobist and http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

I also highly recommend the imexpensive books; Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

Equipment I have recommend to the those I have mentored over the last few years includes:
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

Vivitar DF383 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Power Zoom /Swivel /Bounce Auto-Focus Flash for Nikon TTL, Guide Number 45m (147')

Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

It's to bad you elected to get a 'baby' Nikon. There are some really nice mid-range priced lenses available that won't AF on your D3100.

+1 I suspected and suggested OCF above too, and seems obvious she'll have much better pics vs any lenses she bought that will also lack the pop of better light given the type pics she's taking.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back