I Want to Move to the Next Level

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really want to take my photography to the next level and get off this plateau i feel i have been on. I am thinking that a "mentor" of sorts will help. I guess I'm looking for someone here who might be so kind as to take me under their wing and help me develop. I was going to e-mail a photog in the area and ask if he would let me apprentice with him but I'm not sure if I want to do that.

I am serious about it and will not waste anyones time. Thanks

There is a mentor system on here if that was your question. But your plan sounds good! I recently became good friends with a pro photographer. I now have helped out in the field and in the companies studio. He also introduced me to the company's vice president who then asked to see my work and he actually liked it!

So yeah go for it! You never know what can happen!

I wasn't aware of a mentoring system lol. I'm not too sure if I will have the time to really go to a studio and help out. I figured if I could find someone here that would be willing to help me, I can do stuff a little bit more on my time if that makes sense. Like any reading or photo projects can be done over night (when im up and free) lol

i dont want to make it sound like i am not motivated because i really am.

I didn't realize there were "levels". I thought this was a never ending, continueous learning process.

What are you "stuck" on?

Lol well there aren't really levels and I expect to learn for my entire life but I guess I am really looking for someone who can help me acquire a certain level of quality or maybe help me find my style or niche.

Ahhh... You are looking for your creative style.

That's a tough one, dude. *That* comes from within.
Start looking at photgraphers work, and see who inspires you. Study them. Copy them. Learn how to get the same effects. Try duplicating images exactly as they did them. Then find another and do the same. Build a library of technique. Now take it further. Make it your own. Show the world YOUR point of view.

Many will disagree with me, but I don't believe creativity can be taught. It can be brought out and nurtured, if it exists.

Start looking at photgraphers work, and see who inspires you. Study them. Copy them. Learn how to get the same effects. Try duplicating images exactly as they did them. Then find another and do the same. Build a library of technique. Now take it further. Make it your own. Show the world YOUR point of view.

This is pretty much what I do, and I put my own spin on it. Excellent way to learn in my opinion.

I use stumbleupon alot and just stumble photography as a genre, quite often I will come across a photography blog with examples of the best work by theme, style etc, I study the ones I like to work out why I like them and what "rules" they follow and which ones they break, then I try to work out the technical side.

Bitter's advice yet again is worth its weight in Gold (and I hear gold is at an all time high at present :p).

thanks everyone, I like to think i am very creative haha. I know that a style will come with time

The advice is basically the same in every artistic field -- copy your heros, study the art that you like to figure out why you like it, copy some more, and eventually you will put your own spin on those copied works and your "style" will emerge.

Yup Bitter nailed it. As a chef , also an art, I did exactly that. I found styles i like and practiced over and over. Now i look back very confidently.

i know that working with a pro helps ALOT. i spent one day with one, and already feel like ive learned alot.

Try B&W film with a simple 35MM manual camera and a 50MM lens. Don't want to start an argument about D vs F just a suggestion. Simplify and "see".

You want to learn how to get to third base with photography? It's not easy...she isn't a slut. Unless you're Ken Rockwell....

Most reactions

Back