I was a little nervous buying this old cheap lens..

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yes because of the little money spent {after all if i just had some patience i could be saving up for one of the lenses i really want.. ..but i don't have patience.and money is a little tight ... so i decided to have some fun just buying another old lens...sometimes they can really be fun..well i am glad i did it.. it isn't much ...little but super clean.. and works great..Nikkor DX AF-S 55-200mm 1.4 5.6G ED..what do you think..
DSC_3172 (3).JPG
DSC_3214 (5).jpg
DSC_3231 (3).JPG

Looks good value.
thank you.. i think so.. and will be okay because it is so light in certain instances....would the VR make that much of a difference..

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that lens. Buying used glass is always a gamble, but you can get some good bargains.
Apart from the kit glass that came with the camera, all my glass is from the used section.
I am lucky that near me, 20 miles away, there is a v good camera shop.
Yes I have been caught out, twice.
Once there was a too good to be true lens at a car boot sale.... it was naff
The second time I was on holiday and there was a camera shop in the near by town
Bought a lens that would have been good for my holiday photography
The lend was naff. But but then it was the W/e and then I was back home.
Called the shop, yes they would refund, but the cost of driving from home and back was twice the cost of the lens
Since then I have only bought glass from the camera shop.

Nothing wrong with that lens. Buying used glass is always a gamble, but you can get some good bargains.
Apart from the kit glass that came with the camera, all my glass is from the used section.
The second time I was on holiday and there was a camera shop in the near by town
Called the shop, yes they would refund, but the cost of driving from home and back was twice the cost of the lens
Thank you for the tips... my camera store moved far away..and i very seldom get the chance to go.. your fortunate to have one close.. test it out.. and know that they tested it too... so i quess i was lucky this time.. cute little clean everywhere i go lens..

I have bought the majority of my lenses used over the past 40 years. I think it is the smart way to go in most but not all instances.

Nikon made millions of this lens and it was commonly kitted with the D40.

During lockdown I bought a 17 85 usm f4, 5.6 it’s my go to lens. The one I had somehow collected a load of dust inside, the cost of cleaning was more than replacing
I looked at the on line section of my fav camera shop. Found the replacement
Rung them paid over the phone, the lens was delivered the next day

Looks sharp and good backgrounds in the flower photos. Used is the way to go for sure.

We have a very large camera chain store in our town. Lots of people take classes there and sign up for photo walks etc. I’ve found their used prices are high compared to Adorama and Cameta Camera or BH and the one time I discussed trading in some gear their offer was less than fair. Still it’s nice to have them close by so I do buy from them when I can for accessories, or when buying new items, and I’ve found that their print services are excellent.

Most of my lenses were bought used. I’ve found the best experience and prices for used gear are to buy direct from the sellers through the brand specific Facebook buy/sell/trade groups that are out there.

I doubt that lens came in what I'd consider to be either the cheap or the old categories. Somewhere around 90-95% of my lenses are from film era cameras, mainly predating AF. 1970s or 1980s being the most probable vintage, and most of my lenses have been under $30.

I've usually found old lenses to perform quite reasonably, perhaps needing a little more care than modern ones but being capable of great results. Some of the older lenses I have have traits that make them more challenging to get reasonable results but that can add character with the right subject.

Moderate age lenses like yours will if in good condition be close to the performance of new lenses. They might lack useful features like VR, but IMO generally make a better choice if on a tighter budget.

My own output might improve if I sold off ~100 of my lesser lenses & reinvested the money in a single lens (my wife would also appreciate the extra space) but that would take a huge effort & wouldn't give me a huge budget for an additional lens - You don't seem to be in the same boat as me from that point of view! :icon_redface:

I regularly buy used lenses. I am a cheapskate. The images are good, and that lens scores well, so you have a good one. Don't always judge a lens on price alone.

Cordially,

Mark

thank you everyone.. i am very pleased with this purchase.. i mean honestly i spent over a $1000 on my tamron lens.. and this one i paid $35 + shipping.. and honestly other then reach of capabilities within the lens i do not see too much difference in quality of photo.. i know i have some adjustments to make on the camera for this lens but i was so eager to try it i just snapped away .. lol.. so i think this lens can even please me more... Next up is a micro lens... i'm just having fun on a small budget.. right now so many priorities to take care of .. as you all know...so much has changed for so many in the past 6 months.. if this keeps working out i will continue to buy used and be proud of it..
DSC_3364 (3).JPG
Thank you again for all your encouragement...

Good quality images right there.

As has been stated above in the world of lenses you should never be afraid of buying used. I only have one new lens, the rest are all used.
My best lens is used and it hasn't been in production for over a decade yet it still beats most new lenses in the same price range.

Good quality images right there.

As has been stated above in the world of lenses you should never be afraid of buying used. I only have one new lens, the rest are all used.
My best lens is used and it hasn't been in production for over a decade yet it still beats most new lenses in the same price range.
thank you ..this makes me feel great!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back