I was asked to shoot a wedding.

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A girl I used to go to school with approached me yesterday asking if I shot events, namely weddings. I said usually not weddings. She said her uncle was getting married on the 16th (a week from now) , and it was to be a "super backyard" wedding, consisting of a maximum of 30 people. I don't know whether I should take this on, as I have really only shot one event before. If I did, I wouldn't charge (I'd accept a tip upon delivery of the photos, like last time). I am in need of advice. What questions should I be asking about the wedding? What shots should I plan on? Any help would be appreciated. If I can't go into this confidently I'll respectfully decline.

ok, here is how I look at it. Someone who hasn't contacted a photographer until a week from the big day can't have super high expectations. I looked at your photostream. Your indoor sport pics lead me to believe that you have a good idea of how to shoot in low light situations. I have to believe that this is just a low key kind of wedding so if it were me, I'd do it most likely. Just be up front and honest about your experience with the couple and go from there. Like you said, you aren't going to take money before hand so they get no guarantees. But I think that the couple having some kind of photographer (you) over no photographer is better.

ok, here is how I look at it. Someone who hasn't contacted a photographer until a week from the big day can't have super high expectations. I looked at your photostream. Your indoor sport pics lead me to believe that you have a good idea of how to shoot in low light situations. I have to believe that this is just a low key kind of wedding so if it were me, I'd do it most likely. Just be up front and honest about your experience with the couple and go from there. Like you said, you aren't going to take money before hand so they get no guarantees. But I think that the couple having some kind of photographer (you) over no photographer is better.

Good point. I'm fully confident in my technical ability to shoot and deal with light, but the logistics of the event as well as what shots are valuable are foreign to me.

You are going to want to talk to the couple about the event logistics and see what kind of shots they want. More than likely, they have no idea what they want or they would have put more thought into it. Once you get a schedule for the day's events, you can plan the photography. You will want some of the bride before hand most likely, if time allows. Obviously you will want the couple taking vows, cutting cake, dancing etc. But there may be some family shots that the couple would like. Just have to ask. I know this sounds so amateur, but look at what other wedding photographers are putting on their websites for ideas.

It would be different if this event were planned 2 years in advance with you taking a huge payday and such, but it sounds to me like (no offence) that photography was a last minute consideration that isn't all that important to the couple.

I will give you a tip don't eat yellow snow

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I was trying to find some deep meaning in this, and have so far been unable to. Elaborate? :confused:

You are going to want to talk to the couple about the event logistics and see what kind of shots they want. More than likely, they have no idea what they want or they would have put more thought into it. Once you get a schedule for the day's events, you can plan the photography. You will want some of the bride before hand most likely, if time allows. Obviously you will want the couple taking vows, cutting cake, dancing etc. But there may be some family shots that the couple would like. Just have to ask. I know this sounds so amateur, but look at what other wedding photographers are putting on their websites for ideas.

It would be different if this event were planned 2 years in advance with you taking a huge payday and such, but it sounds to me like (no offence) that photography was a last minute consideration that isn't all that important to the couple.

Okay. I'm erring on the side of accepting this. I will definitely talk to the couple about their expectations, and get a look at the venue ahead of time to get a feel for the light.

it isn't like you are new to photography, or don't have the skills or equipment to do this.

make sure to get formal portraits of the bride/groom and wedding party.
aside from that, just try and get the usual important pics.
the vows, the ring exchange, the kiss, maybe a few with the officiant talking to them....
pics of the bride and her dad are usually a good one too, if possible.
basically, if it LOOKS like it might be important, get a picture of it.

it isn't like you are new to photography, or don't have the skills or equipment to do this.

the vows, the ring exchange, the kiss, maybe a few with the officiant talking to them....

Very true. Would 75-100 pictures be a reasonable return?

No guts no glory.

I noticed in this album you included around 40 photos. Were those the only ones you delivered to the clients? I'm trying to get a handle on what a reasonable return is.

for 3-4 hours?
yea. around 100 pictures would be fine as a final amount.
theres only so many ways to take different pictures of the same thing.
after a while, you are just duplication shots.

for 3-4 hours?
yea. around 100 pictures would be fine as a final amount.
theres only so many ways to take different pictures of the same thing.
after a while, you are just duplication shots.

Okay. Being that it is a small wedding, would 40-50 suffice? I would hope to have more than that, but I can pre plan around that many shots and be able to count on getting them with some degree of certainty.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back