"I was there" slides

ahelg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was going through grandads old slides and found several commercial slides going by the title "I Was There". These slides were sold at tourist atractions. While looking at them I seriously started to doubt the talents of these photographers. I'm not going to comment on colour and all that because I expect the slides might have faded but the composition wasn't exactly something to write home about. Any idiot with a camera could have done these shots.

I've got about 25 of these slides all together. Do you think they might become worth something some day?

I find it hard to understand that people bought these. Three were from the Norwegian house of parliment and they werent any more impresive then pictures of a four star hotel.

that's like having your picture taken in front of the eiffel tower.

they might get worth something as antiques, but that should take an extra 50 years at least.
As to their artistic merit, I think they'll be very well in the recycle bin ;)

Yeah well, you never know. I'll keep them for the time being. Were only talking like one page in my dias binder.

How old were they? Many years ago, any pictures were amazing because cameras were out of reach financially to most people. Now, of course, everyone has a camera, usually on his/her phone.

Mike said:
How old were they? Many years ago, any pictures were amazing because cameras were out of reach financially to most people. Now, of course, everyone has a camera, usually on his/her phone.

Photography has always been expensive. It was cheaper and more convenient just to buy the tourist items that were available. Also once upon a time there weren't photo labs on every corner or in every mall. Photographers did everything from the exposure, through the processing, and making the print (or whatever the end result was). It's only been in the last 40 or 50 years that the notion that photography starts and stops with the click of the shutter release has become popular.

Most reactions

Back