I went to my camera store today to look at tripods....

cherylynne1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...and wow, Manfrottos are a lot bigger and heavier than I anticipated. I mean, I read reviews online and 4 or 5 pounds doesn't sound like much, but when I picked it up I realized it weighs more than my 2 cameras, 4 lenses, and 3 flashes combined.

Anyway, I was hoping to look at the 290 series, but they didn't have it. Instead, they had the 190 and the 055x.

The guy there said the 190 should be sufficient for my mirrorless system, and the 055x would only be necessary if I really needed the extra height. The extra height sounds good to me, because I have tall men in my family and would like to be able to get the camera up to eye level with them. But on the other hand, it just seems like SO MUCH tripod for such a tiny camera.

Just wanted to know if anyone here had any opinions. I know that tripods under $300 usually seem to get frowned upon in this forum, but is that because they're being used for DSLRs rather than mirrorless? I'm willing to go higher if I feel I need it, but after seeing the tripods today, it's pretty hard to believe I'll need it.

I don't intend on hiking or anything, just indoor family portraits or maybe to the park or the backyard. It's basically just so I can get in the picture or so I can have a free hand to wave around and get the kids' attention while shooting.

Thanks, everyone!!

Lots here use the 190 and 055 lines of tripods - they are good line and in the world of tripods quite affordable.

Heavier is also better, it makes the setup more stable and if you're not hiking or going places the weight will only be a bonus. Indeed what tends to be true is that once people get beyond the price range you're in a lot of what they buy is because they want that lighter carbonfibre build of high quality tripod for weight issues.

I would say either one would suit your needs well and you should be confident to take either that suits your fancy.

I like my 190's. I have two, one in aluminum and one in carbon fiber. I had an 055 but broke it a year or so ago and replaced it with the carbon fiber 190. I wasn't wild about the tilting center column on it anyway.

One should always consider their future gear purchases when choosing a tripod. It really sucks having to buy a new tripod whenever you move up the ladder just because your old one isn't up to the task.

...and wow, Manfrottos are a lot bigger and heavier than I anticipated. I mean, I read reviews online and 4 or 5 pounds doesn't sound like much, but when I picked it up I realized it weighs more than my 2 cameras, 4 lenses, and 3 flashes combined.

Anyway, I was hoping to look at the 290 series, but they didn't have it. Instead, they had the 190 and the 055x.

The guy there said the 190 should be sufficient for my mirrorless system, and the 055x would only be necessary if I really needed the extra height. The extra height sounds good to me, because I have tall men in my family and would like to be able to get the camera up to eye level with them. But on the other hand, it just seems like SO MUCH tripod for such a tiny camera.

Just wanted to know if anyone here had any opinions. I know that tripods under $300 usually seem to get frowned upon in this forum, but is that because they're being used for DSLRs rather than mirrorless? I'm willing to go higher if I feel I need it, but after seeing the tripods today, it's pretty hard to believe I'll need it.

I don't intend on hiking or anything, just indoor family portraits or maybe to the park or the backyard. It's basically just so I can get in the picture or so I can have a free hand to wave around and get the kids' attention while shooting.

Thanks, everyone!!

I'm been using a Dolica ball head tripod for the last five years, cost less than $100 - works great
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I was a little taken back when my new Vanguard Abeo+ was delivered at about 8 pounds! After using it for several months I can honestly say, I wouldn't want a lighter tripod.

If you're using it for indoor portraits where wind isn't an issue and if the family isn't jumping around while you're shooting, then a lighter tripod should be OK. If you get a lighter tripod from a good manufacturer like Manfrotto it won't cost that much, and if you want to upgrade to something solid later, you'll be more likely to know what you'll need. You can still use the lighter one for long hikes or in other situations where you need less weight.

I bought a used Bogen/Manfrotto 3211, and then got a off brand trigger head, and the whole rig cost $45. :biggrin-93:
But it weighs 10.5 pounds!:biglaugh: I have taken it on several 3-4 mile hikes, through trees, bushes, and fences, it has held up great!
I am more worried about my tripod falling over with kids, or adults around than I am out on my own.
Weight can be your friend. :)

I have an 055 and I'm just about 6' tall and damn if I don't have to stand tall to use it fully extended. It does have a nice feature where you can actually use it horizontally, very low to the ground.

Thanks for all your responses. You know, I was leaning toward the 190 when I started this thread, but now I might be leaning toward the 055...I mean, who cares if the itty bitty camera looks ridiculous on top? As long as the pictures look good, that's all that matters. :)

If your 2 cameras, 4 lenses and 3 flashes are under 5 pounds, you probably don't need to spend that much money on a tripod.

I know that that tripods have a weight rating....but really, there isn't much of a standard....and it doesn't really even tell you want you need to know. I'm sure that most tripods can physically support a lot more than their rating...but as photographers, we're not really concerned about how much weight it can bare, we are concerned about how stable it can hold the camera. So even though your gear doesn't weigh much, you want a tripod that will remain steady when in use. Plus you'll want durability and ease of use.

So really, while the legs are important, it's the choice of head that you should be more concerned about. The head is where you do most of your interaction with the tripod, so you'll want one that is easy to use for the type of shooting you do. You'll want one that can lock securely and maintain it's stable support in any position. Now, here is where weigh rating is more important, but still...it's not what it can physically support, but how well it can keep the camera stable. With your lighter gear, a smaller tripod head should be just fine.

You guys are babies. Carry around a 20lb video tripod for a day and then complain about weight!

Last time I went to a camera store to look at tripods they had about 60 on the floor. Manfrotto's Bogen, etc.
Plus more around on the wall. It just confused me even more and I still haven't bought a medium level tripod (below my Slik Professional and above my Slik 500). LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back