I went to the zoo this past weekend also.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are my favorite shots. We went to the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo in Thurmont, MD and it poured down raining the whole time. I liked the zoo, so I walked around in it and just got soaked. There were spurts without rain so I got some pictures. Alot of the 100+ took didnt turn out or were just "snapshot worthy" as these might look also, so I didnt even bother posting them.

tortiose1.jpg

I know the focus is off, but MF is hard on a P&S and a moving target. I still like it.

tortoise.jpg

I like it. He was about 4'long and just a monster.

tortoise2.jpg

For some odd reason, the things thatr are infront of the lens when the camera is off, they didnt open fully. Imagine it not there. :lol:

tortoise3.jpg

It can get quite frustrating shooting thru bars. Again, if at all possible, picture it not there. :lol: (again)

C&C welcome.

EDIT: The only pp involved with these shots was a contrast boost on the 1st and 3rd ones.

After re-looking them larger than in my 3" LCD, teyre not as good as I thought they were.

Mark

Some over exposed areas in those, probably thanks to the wet weather. Quite a nice effect in that last shot though... I'd play around with close up crops of it if I were you, maybe a portrait crop of the eye and chest area?

The others don't do much for me unfortunately, I'm no fan of bars.

Had a bit of a play, just for fun. This is the eye and chest crop I originally meant - It would work better from your original resolution, since then you could scale to an 8x10 print at least. It's probably a contraversal crop and certainly doesn't show off the subject in all it's glory, but I really like the colours it highlights.

I processed a fake beak focal point too. Probably looks very heavily processed but as I say, I was just having fun with it :).

temp.jpg

Bifurcator--As far as i can go with anything manually on my P&S is POSSIBLY a MF and thats extremely slow and hard to do with animals. but thanks for the compliment and future reference help.

TrickyRic--Thanks alot. I LOVE that crop. BTW, on another note, my camera is 8MP, how large of a print would that be able to print up wo without losing quality? And while were on the subject, how about 6.1MP? [for future reference with the D40]

Mark

...my camera is 8MP, how large of a print would that be able to print up wo without losing quality? And while were on the subject, how about 6.1MP? [for future reference with the D40]

Mark

That really depends on how close you view the print at. 6mp can do an 8x10 (A4 / US Letter) no problem at all. If it's poster sized and you view it like a normal poster (from ≥ 3 meters away) then 6mp can print posters with no noticeable loss of sharpness or resolution. Same with building banners and billboards. If viewed as intended from a ≥ 30 meter distance then 6mp will suit the task quite well.

Well I plan to do 4x6 or at most 8x10 EVENTUALLY. so I guess the D40 will be a good choice for me.

Mark

The D40 is kinda a sucky camera though. The Olympus 510 for the same price or the Pentax at around the same price is far far FAR superior in terms of both build quality and functionality (feature set/ability).

D80 or D90 then...

The D40 and D60 are the worst cameras in general use. Really really bad. Sure they still take OK images but they're feature stripped in both firmware and physicality to the point of being severely crippled. Their build quality feels really really bad too. I say this even though Nikon is my favorite SLR/DSLR maker!

If you're just after Nikon glass (which is wise) there are adaptor rings that work or bodies that accept Nikon lenses like the Sony line (all of which are superior to the D40).

Im on a budget. So the D80 and 90 are way out. And I would really just like to work with Nikon.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back