Ice everywhere

yesterday the squirrel took the entire suet .. but yes...i definitely keep it full... so just replaced it.. little devil....... lol
I was going to ask if those little blue bird suet cages were squirrel proof but there you go! We have a very clever squirrel who had defeated every feeder I’ve put out. I wouldn’t mind if he just took his share but he keeps the birds away!

I was going to ask if those little blue bird suet cages were squirrel proof but there you go! We have a very clever squirrel who had defeated every feeder I’ve put out. I wouldn’t mind if he just took his share but he keeps the birds away!
This is the first time that i found the little cage opened and empty.. new one in there now has not been tampered with even though squirrel has been here several times.. so i think it may have been the ice more or less pushed it open and then he just took advantage.. but we will see... so far so good..

Gave up on suet cakes. Red squirrels slid past barriers that foiled their obese cousins. Went back to the old suet/pnut butter-packed holes in chunks of suspended firewood. Make up a batch, store 'em and pitch into the fireplace when empty.

We've put up squirrel baffles on both of our shepherd hooks. One worked well enough in one instance, but a slight rise in the yard was enough for a couple of them to leap right over the other one. After many attempts at variations, we hit upon just adding another baffle about 5 inches below the top one. Success!

Gotta keep reminding myself: they have all the time in the world to figure it out, and are very motivated. ;) Brats. Lucky for them I think they're cute and don't want to lock them out completely.

But at least the double baffle has been working for a few months now. :icon_cheers: They are doing just fine cleaning up the spills for me!

Gave up on suet cakes. Red squirrels slid past barriers that foiled their obese cousins. Went back to the old suet/pnut butter-packed holes in chunks of suspended firewood. Make up a batch, store 'em and pitch into the fireplace when empty.
I like the 0 waste of this idea! Alas, I converted our fireplace to an electric glass insert a while ago. 🥲. I enjoy using it almost every night in fall and winter. The wood burning fireplace was drafty and always seemed like too much work for the hour (or at the most 2) that I would be sitting by it.

Lovely set. The squirrel image for me. We are just getting towards the end of summer here in Perth. This summer has been mild with no 40C days as yet . Though this week is warming up, 34C to 38C for a week.

Nice shooting, beautiful detail!

yesterday the squirrel took the entire suet .. but yes...i definitely keep it full... so just replaced it.. little devil....... lol
I use the hot pepper suet cakes, and the squirrels leave them alone, because they don't like the spice.

I use the hot pepper suet cakes, and the squirrels leave them alone, because they don't like the spice.
oh wow .. good idea.. have to look for them

Nice shots.
thank you.. still icy after two days
DSC_6514 (2).JPG
Suns out so maybe today it will melt
DSC_6520 (2).JPG

Just make sure you wash your hands after handling them... I rubbed one of my eyes right afterwards in a brilliant move of forgetfulness... very peppery... 😅
thank you for the reminder..lol.. i will look for them when i buy more tomorrow..

Most reactions

Back