What's new

Ice Storm Aftermath

Such beautiful pictures, but I can't imagine living in that cold of a climate...I'm cold just looking at the pictures..Brrrrrrrrr!!
 
Such beautiful pictures, but I can't imagine living in that cold of a climate...I'm cold just looking at the pictures..Brrrrrrrrr!!
Actually I am but a simple immigrant in this wonderful country called Canada, I come from a country which is roughly as hot as Arizona but I gotta tell you I will not substitute your summer with out winter, I seriously suffer when it gets too hot.
I remember I had to work when it was 40c outside with almost 100% humidity in the air it was unbearable!!!

The weather in Canada is far from perfect but I take the cold anyday over extreme heat but thats just me of course.
 
The people who are without power have my sympathies. We lived through some of that in 1998, and at the time some people were without power for up to a month as there was severe damage to the distribution network, including the main lines. Quite a few suicides in the country, where the farmers couldn't cope with looking after their livestock. Many of the mature trees were just decimated. I'm hoping the damage this time in the southern Ontario area is not as bad as what happened to us in 1998. However, the areas to the east of Montreal got quite a bit of freezing rain as well.
 
The people who are without power have my sympathies. We lived through some of that in 1998, and at the time some people were without power for up to a month as there was severe damage to the distribution network, including the main lines. Quite a few suicides in the country, where the farmers couldn't cope with looking after their livestock. Many of the mature trees were just decimated. I'm hoping the damage this time in the southern Ontario area is not as bad as what happened to us in 1998. However, the areas to the east of Montreal got quite a bit of freezing rain as well.
Thank god we are not there, it is expected power will come back to everybody soon.
It is estimated now its down to 70000 people without power and I am sure it will get even less soon.
I wasnt in Canda in 1998 and never heard of this catastrophy you just told me, being for over a month without power when its freezing really is unbelivable.
 
The people who are without power have my sympathies. We lived through some of that in 1998, and at the time some people were without power for up to a month as there was severe damage to the distribution network, including the main lines. Quite a few suicides in the country, where the farmers couldn't cope with looking after their livestock. Many of the mature trees were just decimated. I'm hoping the damage this time in the southern Ontario area is not as bad as what happened to us in 1998. However, the areas to the east of Montreal got quite a bit of freezing rain as well.
Thank god we are not there, it is expected power will come back to everybody soon.
It is estimated now its down to 70000 people without power and I am sure it will get even less soon.
I wasnt in Canda in 1998 and never heard of this catastrophy you just told me, being for over a month without power when its freezing really is unbelivable.

This is a wikipedia article on that event: North American Ice Storm of 1998 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. However, it wasn't all gloom. My daughters remember it as a wonderful time when they could sleep in the living room (where we had a wood fireplace going) in sleeping bags, cook hot dogs over the fire, had their grandparents with them much of the time, didn't have school, and could wear winter clothes inside... I had power in my office building, and we slept there several days because it had both heat AND running water. However, I'd happily never see another ice storm again.
 
Its amazing how something can be so beautiful, yet so treacherous at the same time. My favorites of the set are 2,[love that burst of orange!] 1, 7 & 8
 
We had in Ontario an ice storm which initially left about 350000 people with no power (me among them).
Its 3 days after the storm and still 70000 people are without power and they are forced to leave their homes as they have no way to heat it, not best way to celebrate Christmas :(
But on a more positive side it did have one positive thing, it left everything with a coat of ice, it looks like everything is covered with crystals.
Good set of pictures, something to remember for years. This is a destructive year in Toronto; torrential rain in July with lots of damage,now this. There are still people without power on my (rather short) street.
 
We had in Ontario an ice storm which initially left about 350000 people with no power (me among them).
Its 3 days after the storm and still 70000 people are without power and they are forced to leave their homes as they have no way to heat it, not best way to celebrate Christmas :(
But on a more positive side it did have one positive thing, it left everything with a coat of ice, it looks like everything is covered with crystals.
Good set of pictures, something to remember for years. This is a destructive year in Toronto; torrential rain in July with lots of damage,now this. There are still people without power on my (rather short) street.

From the latest count I heard 52000 people are still without power, the only good news for them is that tempratures are relatively good and we are expecting this weekend to be above the freezing mark.
 
From the latest count I heard 52000 people are still without power, the only good news for them is that tempratures are relatively good and we are expecting this weekend to be above the freezing mark.
Hm... They say 52000 customers and customer is a meter in meaning 1 house, so at least 100000 people. My whole street is now OK, I am in Sheppard / Weston area. And yes, it is warmer, now we have to watch for falling ice. :crazy:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom