Ideas to shoot

D300WOZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to Photography with my D300 and SB 900 Speedflash.
I live in Phoenix AZ, not much to shoot here...real borring and dull!
I need some ideas for my portfolio. I want to add some real odd/ dark and unusual shots to my port. Not the usual crap everyone else has, flowers (macro) and a tree or headshot. I wanna glam/fashion, unusual shapes and art. Any suggestions, ideas on what will really work visually?

Thanx

Insomniac

I am new to Photography with my D300 and SB 900 Speedflash.
I live in Phoenix AZ, not much to shoot here...real borring and dull!
I need some ideas for my portfolio. I want to add some real odd/ dark and unusual shots to my port. Not the usual crap everyone else has, flowers (macro) and a tree or headshot. I wanna glam/fashion, unusual shapes and art. Any suggestions, ideas on what will really work visually?

Thanx

Insomniac

Let me get this straight...You are asking for suggestions, from the same people that has "the usual crap everyone else has" to help you become creative, artistic, and expressive of yourself as a new "photographer" with a D300 and an SB900? At this point due to your own admission, you are a "hobbist" learning to be a photographer, asking for shortcuts from people that have worked very long and hard at what they know. (but we only produce "usual crap")...Ummmm good luck with that.

i find that the "usual crap" is what hones ones skills to define their own style later on. what you're suggesting is a shortcut, and you're robbing yourself of a lot of experience. The "green" period is a very important period for ANY hobby/activity.

A lot of people start with the "usual crap" because it helps build ones idea of the norm. Correct angles, lines, exposure, composition, etc. Then as one grows comfortable with the "correct ways" then they develop their own style and sense of expression based on the foundation of basics.

It goes with anything. people tend to attach themselves to favorite artists, styles, genre to help themselves build a sense of "correctness". When i first picked up cello and guitar respectively, I had heroes I would emulate. With cello it was yo yo ma. I wanted to not only be as good as yo yo ma, i wanted to BE him. His style, his expressions, his approach to playing. Doing that got me through the basics, and as time went on, after paying my dues in the basics, emulating my "god", I developed my own style of playing, and no longer wanted to be yo yo ma...I wanted to be myself, w/ my own style. But had i gone directly to my own style, I would have skimmed over all the important basics. It was the same with guitar and tommy iommi, satriani, trey azagthoth, kirk hammet, etc.

It's no different here. People attach themselves to favorite photographers and styles, and in the beginning do a lot of emulating, to try to help themselves grasp the basics. but after the basics, develop their own style.

The basics and the "norm" shouldnt be avoided..they are there for a reason, and like many martial arts teachers have told me, and I've come to understand as the truth in almost every activity: "...the advanced is just a collection of beginning steps done perfectly"

sorry for the long winded post.

i find that the "usual crap" is what hones ones skills to define their own style later on. what you're suggesting is a shortcut, and you're robbing yourself of a lot of experience. The "green" period is a very important period for ANY hobby/activity.

A lot of people start with the "usual crap" because it helps build ones idea of the norm. Correct angles, lines, exposure, composition, etc. Then as one grows comfortable with the "correct ways" then they develop their own style and sense of expression based on the foundation of basics.

It goes with anything. people tend to attach themselves to favorite artists, styles, genre to help themselves build a sense of "correctness". When i first picked up cello and guitar respectively, I had heroes I would emulate. With cello it was yo yo ma. I wanted to not only be as good as yo yo ma, i wanted to BE him. His style, his expressions, his approach to playing. Doing that got me through the basics, and as time went on, after paying my dues in the basics, emulating my "god", I developed my own style of playing, and no longer wanted to be yo yo ma...I wanted to be myself, w/ my own style. But had i gone directly to my own style, I would have skimmed over all the important basics. It was the same with guitar and tommy iommi, satriani, trey azagthoth, kirk hammet, etc.

It's no different here. People attach themselves to favorite photographers and styles, and in the beginning do a lot of emulating, to try to help themselves grasp the basics. but after the basics, develop their own style.

The basics and the "norm" shouldnt be avoided..they are there for a reason, and like many martial arts teachers have told me, and I've come to understand as the truth in almost every activity: "...the advanced is just a collection of beginning steps done perfectly"

sorry for the long winded post.
Well put.:thumbup:
Craig.:wink:

yeah, he has good pictures!

also its how you show the usual crap in your pictures, there are macro of flowers, and then there are macro of flowers...

Most reactions

Back