Identification - Marion Soho Camera??

Heidi Rosser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to this forum but a keen collector.
I'm looking to identify two cameras I have recently purchased.
The one on the right is clearly labeled Marion & Co London. So I assume this is a Marion Soho Reflex camera. It has some issues so will possibly be used as parts.
The one on the left is a slight mystery. It is not marked. It looks like a Marion, maybe an earlier version. What it does have is some lovely, what look like leaves indented on the corners of the leatherette. I have added a couple of images.
L1120305.jpg
L1120306.jpg
L1120308.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is a Marion or something else??

They are definitely a both Soho Reflex cameras made by Kershaw and sold by Marion & Co. Both companies became part of APM/APEM a marketing association formed by a few film and equipment manufacturers.

So they were sold as both Marion Soho Reflex or Kershaw Soho Reflex, I'd have to check tor the dates. I have a Marion Soho Reflex and it does have that leaf pattern I'd not noticed before.

There will be variations as they were made for many years.

Ian

Last edited:
Hey Ian, thanks for the reply. The right had one was sold as a Marion, but like I say it has issues which I didn’t know when I purchased it. Luckily I only paid $40 for it.
The other one came with a load of vintage camera stuff and was just listed as Antique Camera. I thought it might have been a Marion and took the risk. Again picked up at a good price. But added the lens myself. Which seems to fit lovely.
The leaf design is quite unique.

It would be good if you would compress your images more for web use. They loaded so slowly over my mobile connection that they still are not done, and I've already made this coming by speaking slowly in my speech-to-text program and am now preparing to close thread

Heidi, have you found and tried the front swing mechanism it's quite unique for a reflex camera.

Should have added earlier from 1929 APM broke up when the film and paper companies became part of Iford and the sales side became Soho Ltd, both cameras are earlier than that. Some Soho Reflex cameras were rebranded for large retailers and few never had a badge, that's the same with other manufacturers.

Ian

I've never heard of or seen one of these. Thanks for posting, interesting to get to see them; in fact I'd like to see them opened up.

About what year(s) do you think these were made?

Last edited:
Introduced in 1905 and made into the late 1930's. Probably the best large SLR on the market, mine's a 5"x4" version with a TTH Cooke lens.

Unlike the lazy Graflex multi slot variable tension FP shutters most British (& German) focal plane SLRs (& others with FP shutter) cameras vary the slit width and have a fixed tension just like more modern cloth shuttered 35mm (&120) SLRs and Leica's and copies.

Sharon, you need to see one open and the movements. If you ever come to the UK you can have a play

Ian

Hey Darrel, sorry it took too long to load, new on this forum will remember to reduce next time.

Thanks for the info Ian, really interesting. Been looking for info on Google too.

On closer inspection the one without the lens some one has butchered and removed the rear shutter curtain to leave just the rollers. I can imagine it would be impossible to find a replacement for that.

Had a good look and got the other one to fire, which is good. I was not sure at first as I’m use to a louder Clunk from the Graflex cameras I have. It was much quieter. Need to give it a good clean today.

Also found the original customs declaration in the leather case. It was sent from London to New Zealand in 1987. But looks like it was purchased her in Nelson around 1912.

Just love the history behind these cameras.

Thanks Ian, I'll keep that in mind if I ever plan a trip across the ocean! lol I'd be glad to look at any British cameras anytime.

Hey, just realized I do have one! The last Kodak box Brownie, that was British. It even has - settings!! Nice one to use too.

Well you’ll never believe but I found another Marion in a second hand shop today! This one looks shorter and wider, but looks like a Marion. I’ll try and take a photo tomorrow to post.
I managed to barter with the dealer and got it at a rock bottom price. It came with the big leather case and two Thornton Pickard lenses. I was quite excited.
Now I’ve tested it, it looks like the shutter curtain has disintegrated, but the rest of the camera is great.

Just wondering if anyone had tried to replace a shutter curtain on one of these. I’m guessing it would be similar to doing a graflex and there is lots on line showing how to do this. I need to find the fabrics first, any ideas on where to source this too?

I've replaced shutter curtains on some early reflex cameras, I've not got around to my Soho Reflex yet. Most British (& German) reflex cameras have shutters that are quite different to Graflex reflexes and Speed Graphics. Essentially they are large versions of the later cloth shutters used in 35mm and MF cameras, unlike Graflex shutters they have two shutter curtains and are self capping so the curtains are closed when the shutter's re-cocked.

Shutter speed is controlled by the width of the slit between the two curtains, the two curtains each have a pair of rollers top and bottom like a Graflex shutter or TP roller blind shutter theres a spring in the bottom rollers. It's best to make any speed change before cocking the shutter as the slit width is adjusted by how much of the one curtain is wound onto its top roller.

upload_2019-10-10_13-54-29.png

This is a TP Unit shutter from a Ruby Reflex (i've adjusted the contrast to make it clearer), these come out along with the mirror box as a complete unit so can function outside a camera, however other cameras have the shutter built into the body.

On the shutter above the outer curtain is attached to the bottom roller and by tape either side to its top roller, it's this curtain that is used to adjust shutter speed. There's no adjusting tension like early Graflex shutters. The difficulty is getting the right thickness curtain material and particularly tape.

Post some photos of your new camera.

Ian

Is that a beauty!

Managed to acquire this beauty to add to the Marion collection

Was not sure if it was a Soho Night Reflex or not. Could only find images of one online.
It has a massive and fast Carl Zeiss 16.5/ 2 7 lens .

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_171358862_compress79.jpg
    IMG_20200716_171358862_compress79.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20200716_171350579_compress23.jpg
    IMG_20200716_171350579_compress23.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200716_171343289_compress56.jpg
    IMG_20200716_171343289_compress56.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 84

Most reactions

Back