If you had to buy a superzoom P&S what would you buy?

jtmiv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear Board,

I own and love my 40D and 1DMK2 but they can be a handful to schlep around. I would like to have a camera that I could carry in the vehicle that offered good to great zoom range and decent image quality.

I often see things worth taking a picture of while driving back and forth to work, birds and animals primarily and they coincidently happen to be the subject of most of my picture taking efforts.

While I have no qualms about leaving one of the DSLR's and the Sigma 150-500 sitting on the driver's seat of the car in the parking lot at my workplace they still lack that certain degree of portability that I seek.

To that end I am considering buying a superzoom P&S. I'm not buying tomorrow but merely researching at this point. I have narrowed it down to 3 candidates and I was wondering if anyone can offer any insight into my choices or maybe suggest an alternative, or a place to look for additional choices? It needs to shoot RAW and that's pretty much my only requirement at this point.

Here is my list.

Canon SX50HS

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ershot_sx50_hs

Panasonic DMC-FZ200

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...192014_imaging

Fuji Finepix S1

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig.../s/finepix_s1/

The Canon is, a Canon something I have brand familiarity with and a camera that has a sort of following. The Panasonic offers arguably the best lens though a much shorter range. The Fuji offers comparable range to the Canon and the bonus of being at least somewhat weather proof, though reviews knock it a bit for it's image quality?

The prices are all between $ 350.00 and $ 600.00, and $ 600.00 is my max. I realize that I will never be able to afford the expensive glass required to get the best out of my 40D or 1DMK2. I have no intention of getting rid of them, as I am pleased with the modest progress I have made with my photographic skill level with those cameras. I will continue to use them, I'd just like something that I could have as a walk-around knock-around camera that I can have with me at all times.

I am all ears at this point and open to suggestions from people who have experience with the cameras I have mentioned or any potential alternatives? I am a hobbyist with no intentions of becoming a great photographer. I just would like to become a better photographer and having a camera with me at all times seems to me at least to be an essential part of growing my skill set.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
icon_smile.gif

What about a SonyDSD-HX20V? or 50V? You can put the Sony in a pocket. Great programming and first class G lens. Plenty of zoom reach.

I've just gotten a Canon SX50 HS and it is sweet. It just isn't small.

Now if you are going to leave a camera in the vehicle.....I can't suggest any particular camera.

I've owned both the SX-50 and the FZ-200, both are good cameras. The canon had more zoom range, which if your going to be using this for birding would probably be a big selling point.

I think the FZ-200 had the better image quality, and the 2.8 throughout the zoom range was pretty nice.

I've owned both the SX-50 and the FZ-200, both are good cameras. The canon had more zoom range, which if your going to be using this for birding would probably be a big selling point.

I think the FZ-200 had the better image quality, and the 2.8 throughout the zoom range was pretty nice.

Hello,

May I ask why you got rid of both cameras?

Did they fail miserably at something?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

Hello,

May I ask why you got rid of both cameras?

Did they fail miserably at something?

Regards,

Oh no, both were nice cameras and worked well - they just didn't provide me with the image quality I really wanted. The only problem with the bridge cameras are the small sensors - as a result the maximum image size is pretty small and you really can't crop much - just not enough pixels to work with so you really have to work hard to get things right on camera.

For a lot of photography this isn't as much of an issue - but for wildlife photography it can be tough, especially for things like birds in flight. The other issue with the bridge cameras is the frames per second - yes they can fire very quickly in some cases (I think the SX-50 did a 12 FPS burst), the problem is they generally have very small buffers so you can usually only get a 1 second burst before the camera has to stop and catch up.

The small sensor also meant that they really didn't work well in low light, at all. Even the FZ-200 with it's 2.8 lens was no match for a DSLR - and since I do a lot of shooting at the zoo, indoor in bad lighting, well I really needed the larger sensor of a true DSLR. I purchased the SX-50 first, and ended up selling it when I bought the FZ-200. I was hoping the FZ-200's constant 2.8 would be sufficient for shooting indoors without a flash, but it really wasn't up to the task. So I bought a D5100 and a few weeks later sold the FZ-200, realizing I wouldn't be getting much use out of it after seeing the image quality that the 5100 was capable of producing.

After a few months of using the 5100 I realized I was hooked - and that this was going to be an ongoing hobby and not just something I'd be interested in for a little while and then have my interest wain. So I upgraded to a D5200, haven't looked back since.

Don't get me wrong, for a lot of folks a bridge camera will suit their needs just fine and they really do have a big advantage in portability, they just really weren't sufficient to meet my particular needs.

I have the FZ200 for everyday use and the Sony A6000 for special occasions (f.i. low light)
A superzoom can take good pictures if you consider its limitations.
Rudi

I would like to have a camera that I could carry in the vehicle that offered good to great zoom range and decent image quality.

I have narrowed it down to 3 candidates and I was wondering if anyone can offer any insight into my choices or maybe suggest an alternative, or a place to look for additional choices? It needs to shoot RAW and that's pretty much my only requirement at this point.

Here is my list.

Canon SX50HS
Panasonic DMC-FZ200
Fuji Finepix S1

I have a FZ200 for sale. I barely used it before I decided to go the opposite way you are going. I wanted a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses, so now I have an almost new Lumix FZ200 and a bunch of good accessories for sale. I did my research and it is a great bridge camera. I've been trying to get $600, but could go less to be over and done with it. Have a look: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...anasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200-lots-extra-gear.html

Best R'gards,

Jim

Have a look at the Panasonic TZ60 very small 30x zoom 18mp excellent IS , photo`s are great in good light.

John.

Have to throw in a vote for the FUJI S1. I own a HS20 and I love it but I borrowed an S1 and it just does all the things my camera does but a bit better. If I change my current HS20 I would definitely go to a S1.

Have to throw in a vote for the FUJI S1. I own a HS20 and I love it but I borrowed an S1 and it just does all the things my camera does but a bit better. If I change my current HS20 I would definitely go to a S1.

Dear 407370,

That is the direction I am leaning right now. I probably won't do anything before Christmas time but having handled the Canon SX50 I have pretty much ruled it out. I know it is a ridiculous reason, but it just doesn't feel solid in my hands. I'd like to get my hands on the Panasonic FZ200 and the Fuji S1 before I buy, but I don't have many local camera stores so I may wind up just buying on line.

I know a superzoom is not the perfect camera, but I want something that I can carry around in my car all the time. I've carried my 40D and 1DMK2 in the car but I'd rather not do that on a consistent basis. A superzoom will give me the chance to stop and smell the roses in a manner of speaking. I often see interesting things on my commute to and from work and I want to have a camera with me to take advantage of them.

Regards,

Dear 407370,

That is the direction I am leaning right now. I probably won't do anything before Christmas time but having handled the Canon SX50 I have pretty much ruled it out. I know it is a ridiculous reason, but it just doesn't feel solid in my hands. I'd like to get my hands on the Panasonic FZ200 and the Fuji S1 before I buy, but I don't have many local camera stores so I may wind up just buying on line.

I know a superzoom is not the perfect camera, but I want something that I can carry around in my car all the time. I've carried my 40D and 1DMK2 in the car but I'd rather not do that on a consistent basis. A superzoom will give me the chance to stop and smell the roses in a manner of speaking. I often see interesting things on my commute to and from work and I want to have a camera with me to take advantage of them.

Regards,

Have a look at the pics I have posted on here or youpic all of them are taken with the HS 20. Sure it has limitations but they are out weighed by the ability to just take pictures with the minimum of fuss and no heavy bag. Go FUJI and work with the camera. You will not be disappointed.

Dear 407370,

Judging from the pictures in your link if I can do half as good I'll be doing twice as well as I am now.

You have an eye for an attractive picture. You could do OK with a box camera.

I'm convinced I'll be happy with a the Fuji.

Regards,

Dear 407370,

Judging from the pictures in your link if I can do half as good I'll be doing twice as well as I am now.

You have an eye for an attractive picture. You could do OK with a box camera.

I'm convinced I'll be happy with a the Fuji.

Regards,

Thanks for the comments.

The camera is about 10% of a picture. You make up the rest.

Good Luck

Most reactions

Back