What's new

If you have the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D... Please read. I need your help!

Nykon

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I am having issues with my lens, or if this is just the way it is. I'm not a pro, but have been into this consumer/semi-pro stuff for a little bit. I bought this lens a while back and cant seem to get any really sharp shots consistently. I shoot free hand on a D90 with it. I use anything from spot metering to average. Shutter speeds are between 200 - 2,000 at all apertures. My ISO is usually set between 100 to 400. I use to get some seriously sharp shots back in the day, at least more often than I am now. I sent my lens to B&H where I bought it from for repair, and it just came back with some disappointment. I didn't get any documentation from them stating if anything had been done to the lens, it could have just sat there for all I know. So I need some help from you if you have this lens. I was hoping for some 100% crops from you without any editing, shooting in the ranges that I mentioned and free hand. I know my kit lens and 35mm f/1.8 are making some sharper shots than this 80-200, and that shouldnt be right.

Thanks in advance!
 
All mine are handheld with this lens. It does require a more critical stance and technique holding and breath control. Also some softness for many at f2.8. Found tack sharp by f4. And uncomfortable in shooting less than the focal length. So at 200mm looking at 1/250th as the very minimum with good technique.

Can't really determine what the problem is unless we can see some of your pics to analyze.
.
 
That lens should be very sharp, even wide open--tack sharp at f4.I wouldn't expect any zoom to outperform a prime, but if your kit lens is sharper--there's a problem.The best way to determine if it's the lens or the camer is to compare it to another 80-200mm or even a 70-200mm vr (mount could be misaligned which causes more problems with longer glass).Keep in mind that the vr2 is slightly better wide open but all the 2.8 lenses in this class should be comparable at f4 and above.
 
I cant get the pics to load on here nor have it accept my URL to the site. So here is the Picasa link to where the pics are. Pics say undefined when uploading, and then they say my link is invalid - go figure! https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...31665&authkey=Gv1sRgCMiR0a-jmZ_Rcg&feat=email
Focus seems to have been missed on some of those shots (dogs collar is in tighter focus then his face, babies shoulder is in better focus.) although I can't tell if that's the only problem, Contrast is also pretty horrible, something else might be wrong
 
Keep in mind that the 80-200 2.8's were pro lenses for a lot of years. They are tack sharp when in good condition, but a lot of them were beaten up and tossed around for a good many years. If you bought it used, there is a chance that is what you are running into.

If you bought it new, then it comes down to tolerances. During the manufacturing process, everything is not exact. There are allowable ranges and if it falls within that range, it is sent out. Now, if your camera body is say -10 in the tolerance range and your lens is +10 in the tolerance range, than you are a happy camper because it winds up being perfect, but if your camera body is -10 and your lens is -10, it could be very difficult to achieve proper focus.

An easy test is to take one shot in live view mode and one shot shooting regularly. Ideally, from a tripod, in identical lighting, same distance, blah blah blah. If the live view shot is good and your regular autofocus is not, than you have a front or back focus issue. If they are both bad, then something may be wrong with your lens.

If you don't have a tripod or anyway to duplicate the shot, just take 10 or so shots each way. Count how many are good from each test. It isn't an ideal test method, but it should be able to give you a good idea and let you know if more testing is called for.
 
I'll play....

Taken at 125mm 1/320sec f/4.0 ISO 400. SOOC (raw processed, nothing else done)


DSC_1663 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

100%(ish) crop of focal area....


DSC_1663-2 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Taken with a D90, center weighted metering, AF-S single spot focus, hand held.

FYI, the manual focus ring on my 80-200 is stripped out so auto focus is the only way I can use it (purchased it that way). Other than that it is a perfect lens.







p!nK
 
I have to agree here, I use this lens frequently and it is fast and tack sharp at f4, and almost that sharp at f2.8. This is about the only lens I own that I will happily shoot wide open at any time with no thought because it is just that good. I have mostly primes and althought when I really zoom in to the image I can see the prime is sharper I am really having to hunt for it. Beautiful 11x14s and 16x20s from this lens.

Allan
 
I have it too... no problems.. steady hand required at longer lengths of course.. I would take it somewhere, or send it somewhere for a check of all it's calibration measurements. Ask for the report, before and after... worth paying for.
Hope you get it sorted, as it really is a beautiful lens.. one of my favourites in my bag :)
 
Thanks for all the replies! I've been sick so I havent been on here. I have noticed that the camera likes to focus on an area behind what I am shooting at. That was my reason for sending it out for repair to B&H. I am going to try all the options mentioned and see what happens. I'll let you all know soon.
 
Keep in mind that the 80-200 2.8's were pro lenses for a lot of years. They are tack sharp when in good condition, but a lot of them were beaten up and tossed around for a good many years. If you bought it used, there is a chance that is what you are running into.

If you bought it new, then it comes down to tolerances. During the manufacturing process, everything is not exact. There are allowable ranges and if it falls within that range, it is sent out. Now, if your camera body is say -10 in the tolerance range and your lens is +10 in the tolerance range, than you are a happy camper because it winds up being perfect, but if your camera body is -10 and your lens is -10, it could be very difficult to achieve proper focus.

An easy test is to take one shot in live view mode and one shot shooting regularly. Ideally, from a tripod, in identical lighting, same distance, blah blah blah. If the live view shot is good and your regular autofocus is not, than you have a front or back focus issue. If they are both bad, then something may be wrong with your lens.

If you don't have a tripod or anyway to duplicate the shot, just take 10 or so shots each way. Count how many are good from each test. It isn't an ideal test method, but it should be able to give you a good idea and let you know if more testing is called for.

I bought the lens new from B&H, and I tried shooting handheld about 15 shots in live mode, then in normal. All came out the same - horrible.
 
So here is another update. I got a hold of B&H again, and they were basically no help to me, and will also not be shopping with them anymore because of crappy customer service. So I called Nikon and asked them about the issue, and they told me that the D90 doesn't have a fine tuning mechanism for the focus which I guess some of the other newer cameras do. I guess it makes sense as to why this is happening. I know I have gotten some really clean shots with this lens, its just not consistent. Maybe 20% are tack sharp.
 
Yep wondering on your settings as used AF-S and center AF point only on mine.
.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom