Ignorant pawn shops, good for us

Unfortunately I don't have your knowledge of vintage cameras. I'm more likely to see something that looks shiny and valuable, isn't, and overpay.
Even an older version of McKeowen's price guide can be useful to get an idea of what things are worth. Might be one in the library, if the price puts you off. Used to be valuable for me, when I was out looking more than I do now.

Nearly impossible in the internet era unless they are incredibly lazy.
I'm guessing that describes a fair number of pawnshop operators.

I've had similar experiences in some of the "antique"/resale shops. A couple of years back, I was browsing through the various displays, and ran across the usual "antique" Starflashes, Starflexes, Ansco's, etc. Consignors were evidently dreaming when they priced things. One small display cabinet had a light meter, which I recognized as a Soligor 1deg Digital Spot. When I opened the case, it was tagged with the Zone VI stripe on the lens. I asked the manager if the seller would deal (asking price was $70), and he took $10 off immediately. The meter seemed to work all right, since I tested it @ 100 ISO, and got the appropriate "Sunny f/16" EV response. I figured for $60, no harm, no foul.

I got it home and tested it against my 1deg Pentax Digital Zone VI conversion, and the two tested identical (i.e. less than 1/3 EV against my Kodak 18% gray card. Since then I've used it a number of times with my Hasselblad and 4x5's, and have always gotten great results.

Unfortunately I don't have your knowledge of vintage cameras. I'm more likely to see something that looks shiny and valuable, isn't, and overpay.
I don't have THAT much knowledge of vintage cameras. Enough to get myself in trouble. But, Google and Ebay can give you a pretty good idea of their worth.

After my go-to repair guys passed, retired or moved away, I stopped cruising pawn shops for older film gear. You only need so many doorstops/paperweights.

After my go-to repair guys passed, retired or moved away, I stopped cruising pawn shops for older film gear. You only need so many doorstops/paperweights.
True. But I do have one very old Kodak series 1 out as a decorative item in my office.

Most reactions

Back