I'm a beginner: Help me decide my first lens

858Smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i consider it my first lens b/c the only other lens i have is the kit lens (18-55mm or something like that). i've done my share of researching, believe you me, but still so undecided, so i will let YOU decide.

here is what i'm looking for:

i'm looking for some serious bokeh
it has to be under $300, which i know is very limited, but i want to start off small
i don't care if it's prime or not

let me know what you'd like me to buy ;)

THANKS!!!

ETA: i have a nikon d5100. duh.

Last edited:
Nikon or Canon. If you're after some serious Bokeh a great inexpensive option is the 50mm 1.8. Both brands make one.

Nikon or Canon. If you're after some serious Bokeh a great inexpensive option is the 50mm 1.8. Both brands make one.

crap. nikon. i added it to my original post lol

i do want serious bokeh, but i also wanna take good, crisp photos.

Get the nifty fifty.

Bokeh is not adjustable, but Depth-Of-Field (DoF) is.

The inexpensive 'nifty-fifty' both Nikon and Canon produce deliver poor quality bokeh, with the 5 bladed lens aperture usually visible.

I would suggest either the 50mm 1.8 or the 35mm 1.8 both will give you good bokeh. You can pick up a used 50mm for around 125$ in Canada the 35mm used around 180$. I would purchase used as long as you know what to look for to stretch your $$.

i consider it my first lens b/c the only other lens i have is the kit lens (18-55mm or something like that). i've done my share of researching, believe you me, but still so undecided, so i will let YOU decide.

here is what i'm looking for:

i'm looking for some serious bokeh
it has to be under $300, which i know is very limited, but i want to start off small
i don't care if it's prime or not

let me know what you'd like me to buy ;)

THANKS!!!

ETA: i have a nikon d5100. duh.

Nifty Fifty all the way.

It'll give excellent bokeh and does great in limited light situations! It's prime but well worth the trade off and I was able to find mine for around $70 bucks.
With that price you could afford to get yourself some other accessories too! maybe even another lens...

I totally agree with the 35 1.8 or the 50 1.8. What type of shooting are you planning on?

The inexpensive 'nifty-fifty' both Nikon and Canon produce deliver poor quality bokeh, with the 5 bladed lens aperture usually visible.

Keith is correct in that if you use an aperture of less than 1.8 you will notice the blades.

Here are two quick examples.

This is at f1.8

tree at f1.8 by Shefjr, on Flickr

This is at f5 (I could be wrong but I think this is 3 stops of light)

tree at f5 by Shefjr, on Flickr

Still it's a cheap lens that is a lot of fun to use. It's fast in poor light conditions and it is sharp. I don't know that you'll find too many people here who wouldn't tell you to get grab up this lens. With that said I'll probably now get slammed by a bunch of people here. lol that's how the interwebz works. :wink:

Last edited:
$300.00 will almost get you the 18-105 and a nifty fifty,if you grabbed the 18-105 for sale in the buy/sell tab.not that i'm promoting it.....just saying.Beyond that,i have and enjoy both of these lenses.

T For bang for your buck the 50mm is a great lens, a brilliant learning tool as well....but you already have a 50mm option on the lens you have, so the question is do you really want the extra difference in aperture? I may be being daft here but would a lens in the 55+ plus size not be more useful?

thanks for your replies, everyone!!

i have no idea what that means lol I see in the pics below, the comparison of the tree, but is that "design" in the back the blades?

anything less than 1.8 shows blades as shefjr said, does that mean I should only use 1.8? doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I totally agree with the 35 1.8 or the 50 1.8. What type of shooting are you planning on?

um, of food & stuff ;) I shoot nothing at all. seriously. I whip out the camera to practice lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back