I'm a stay at home MOm who LOVES to take Pictures! Some advice please

shibs51

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone, I just joined this forum. I have a canon Rebel XS, I am waiting on getting my new lens 50mmf/1.8 (which I am very excited about). The kind of pictures I love to do are kids and outdoor. My neighbour has a new born and I am going to practice on taking new born pictures. I have no lighting equipment or anything like that. How do I get that soft look to pictures. I guess what advice I would appreciate is should I use photoshop or photoshop elements (which is a little cheaper). I do plan on maybe taking photography as a hobby/ part time job! I am very new to this. I have been looking on You Tube for tips etc. I have a lot to learn about the settings, aperture and ISO etc. ARE there any helpful online tutorials? thanks so much
Siobhan

Why do all "Mom Shooters" get Canon's? Anyone else notice that?

Maybe it's just me.

OP. For right now. All you need is Elements. Full Photoshop will do nothing but overwhelm you and drain your wallet (err or purse). Lighting is key with newborn photography. It does not have to be anything extensive, sometimes as simple as a open window will do, but it does have to be right. Big and soft are the terms that come to mind when setting up for a newborn photo. Search here and also flickr for some great ideas.

Dug up some of my "old" ones of my now 7 month old. These were done in my kitchen with natural light from a glass door.

Alissa Newborn 171E by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Alissa Newborn 177 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Alissa Newborn 191E by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Also, welcome.

p!nK

The book "Understanding Exposure" is a great start and explains concepts and technique very well.

A large window and a piece of foam core or poster board as a reflector can go a long way for baby photos.

PS elements is plenty for most people. If you want to go cheaper until you figure out what you really need, you can also try the software that comes from canon with its cameras, It handles most photo processing well. Then there is GIMP, its a free photoshop-like, program. There is more of a learning curve though.

Read online tutorials, or a book or two, then try and shoot some photos keeping in mind new concepts you have learned, review them on your computer, then shoot some more and compare the results. Eventually you will get a natural feel for getting results just Like you envisioned.

At first the 50mm 1.8 might not seem that great, but once you learn how to take advantage of the quality optics and shallow depth of field it can create, you will see that it is a gem.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Great choice on lens and camera! I also have the rebel xs and im considering the 50mm 1.8 so i look forward to seeing some of your photos.

Also welcome to the forum. A lot of great people here and im proud to say everthing i know was either sourced from here or posted here.

We have similiar cameras and I have that lens also. Try to take shots at 4.0 or above using that lens initially, so you'll need lighting. The reason I say that is because most who get that lens will find at f1.8 allows such a shallow dof that its easy to miss focus alot until you are use to it.
:thumbup:

Pink because Canon is the SHIZZLE! :D

^^^^^ What he said^^^^^
but seriously newborns your going to need a bean bag filled til its pretty stiff, fuzzy blankets clips to hold the blankets tight and a large window/sliding door

check out mcp actions for some free sharpining actions and the coffee shop blog has some free skin smoothing/ redness relief actions I think its called baby powder room or something like that

heres some pull backs, just think infront of a light source tho

Welcome to Facebook

Welcome !

Here are a couple of sites that helped me learn a little

Digital Photography Tutorials
JHP Video Tutorials - Free Photography Tutorials

And if you havn't already check Karl Taylor out !
YouTube - GreatPhotographyTips's Channel

His DVD's ARE GREAT ! Started watching them when I first started off, and now I understand my whole camera !

And don't use auto ! Practice in manual to understand your Apeture, ISO, and shutter speeds.

Hope this helps,

WOW!!! You have a 58 foot tripod!!!!??? that is ridiculous =)

read a lot of books. "The Digital Photography book" Volume 1, 2 and 3, by Scott Kelby. I am reading those now just so you know they are really good for beginners because they are strait to the point without the mumbo jumbo!

Well a start would be to read your camera manual. That way you'll be more efficient spending less time in photoshops since its a difficult platform.

Enroll in a photography class at your local community college. That would be the most beneficial. getting a certificate or an aa in photo will allow you to make this hobby a part time.

Most reactions

Back